John Deere B Clutch Issue

/ John Deere B Clutch Issue #1  

ndgregor

Tractor
John Deere 1070
The clutch seemed to be stuck slightly engaged. I decided to pull the whole assembly off the crankshaft and see what was going on.

From what I can tell, it looks like the clutch operating sleeve (as it is referred to in the manual) is stuck and not sliding. Does anyone have any advice on fixing this, and is it common? Right now it appears to be a few inches away from the gear, which I believe is in the engaged position. How is it returned in normal operation? Any help would really be appreciated!

/ John Deere B Clutch Issue #2  
Can you post some pictures? I've had a couple of them apart but can't remember what is what it's been so long.

/ John Deere B Clutch Issue #3  
Operating sleeve(24) has an arm that pin(key 27) keeps sleeve from rotating. How elongated is the hole as hole is supposed to be round. How worn are the toggles(key 28)& dogs(key 29)? Was gear moved off clutch pulley?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,553
   / John Deere B Clutch Issue
After further work/disassembly, I determined that the cause of the operating sleeve not moving was due to T-bolts (item 30) being rusted/gummed up and jammed in the pulley holes. After spraying with penetrating oil and knocking them loose with a hammer, the sleeve slides great.

There does not appear to be much elongation on the hole in the operating sleeve that the pin rides through. I did not take apart all the toggles and dogs, but there does not seem to be significant play in them.

/ John Deere B Clutch Issue
The driving disk/sliding disk surfaces are fairly well pitted after I cleaned them up with a wire wheel. I assume for the light work that I am going to be doing with the tractor they will be alright? Planning on going with them in the mean time unless told otherwise.

/ John Deere B Clutch Issue #6  
One is suppose to routinely put gun grease in holes for dogs & toggles to operate smoothly.