Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #21  
there are good shops and bad one's you found the bad one. we took a steering cylinder to one and said they couldn't git it apart and would be $500 to make one, next place fixed it for about $80 said it was tough but they were tougher

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #22  
If you find a rod you'll need to have the end turned down and threaded for the plunger, and the end cut off the old cylinder and welded on the new one.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #23  
bspeedy,

Thanks. I was thinking two hours to put all three back together, if they were already cleaned and broken down. As far as chrome, I know its expensive, just wasn't sure. Not sure how people can run a business this way.

I had a cylinder straightened, pits filled and re-chromed. It was around 100 dollars if I remember correctly (just for that part of the work). It was a smaller cylinder for power steering though. They probably send it out for that work. My shop did.

Sorry you're getting messed around. Don't keep it a secret from others in your community who need hydraulic work done. I'm a good business' best advertisement and the opposite for those who treat me wrong.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild
I visited the shop for the first time since dropping off the cylinders. They listened to my concerns and explained in detail what had happened. He said they normally call after about a half hour of labor, but for some reason it was missed. He adjusted the price for this error. He reviewed the rods and only one of them needed to be chromed. We came to an amicable agreement on the price and worked it out. I should get them back in about a week. I want to thank everyone who responded. It was very helpful and possibly next time I'll try the rebuild myself.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #26  
buckeyefarmer,

What time can I pick you up tomorrow? I'll buy lunch!
There is mission bbq in Hagerstown.
And harbor freight. Lol

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #27  
Yeah! Sounds like a reasonable compromise.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #28  
Glad that worked out.

The boom cylinder on my BH leaks ever since I got it new. One of the problems with buying non local....
Not real bad leak, but someday I should get it fixed. I know nothing about fixing a cylinder.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #29  
Post up a picture of the seal end of the cylinder in question, someone will be able to tell you how it comes apart. If you can find a number on the seal, you can probably find a match via google shopping, if you're lucky you'll only have to undo one end of the rod, slide the seal plate off, replace the seal and reverse. Of course check the rod for burrs or nicks that would cut the new seal, that could be what caused the leak.

/ Advice on Estimate for Cylinder Rebuild #30  
It's a kubota bh92