Kubota L185 cranks but will not start?

/ Kubota L185 cranks but will not start? #1  

pinetuck

Tractor
Kubota L35
Well I have been trying to get my kubota L185 to run ever since I replaced the steering sector gear box. I bought the tractor a few weeks ago, it had a lot of slack in the steering wheel. I ordered a new steering gear box and installed it a couple of days ago. As you know if you have ever done this before you have to remove the steering wheel, dash unit, and fuel tank. After replacing the gear box I re-installed the fuel tank and decided I would try and crank it before re-installing the dash and steering wheel. I fired her up with no problem, let it run for maybe 10 sec. Shut it down and installed the dash and steering wheel. Now it cranks over but will not start! Battery is good and strong, smokes out the exhaust which tells me it getting fuel. Someone way before me has disconnected switches and other wiring connections under the dash which it was running without being connected when I bought the tractor. i'm a retired Maintenance Mechanic from a Chemical Plant and very mechanically inclined. Now wiring is another story altogether, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Surely there is a by-pass wire I can connect from the battery to get it cranked so I can move it to my shop, at least I hope there is! Thanks guys and HELP PLEASE!!

Last edited:
   / Kubota L185 cranks but will not start? #2  
From your description, I think I would investigate the glow plugs, to make sure they are being energized and are good (take an ohm reading). Your starter is working and you have fuel, so all you need is a little heat. Wire may have fallen off for the glow plugs. I have a L225 and it does not need much heat to start.
Good luck,
David

/ Kubota L185 cranks but will not start? #3  
mine did this and it had air between the filter and injection pump. it would smoke I guess it just wasn't getting enough fuel. I just bled it at the pump and it fired right up. I fought it for several hours just because I seen the smoke and thought that it had to be getting fuel