Massey 231 steering and diff lock

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock #1  

chancer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 231
Hi there,

New around here and to tractor ownership. I've got a 97 Massey 231 (Polish import) with a loader that I've been using for snow clearing quite a lot over the last few weeks.

I unfortunately did a silly thing since I know bugger all about properly operating these things, and I think I snapped something in the diff lock mechanism. It now won't engage at all, which is a pain when I'm stuck on ice with the wheel spinning. I know I can use the brakes to stop a wheel spinning, so that's OK, but I'd like to repair it if I can. I'm looking to find a how-to for opening up the transmission case and having a look to find the offending bit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've also got an intermittent issue with steering being extremely heavy, and wondered if anyone can give me some pointers on how to sort that? I found a thread saying that it may be a blocked filter, and I wondered if I could possibly have made the problem by busting the diff lock? Does anyone know of a source for troubleshooting the hydraulics to identify where the problem is?

Many thanks in advance.

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock #2  
Hello chancer, What were the symptoms that make you think that you broke the diff lock?
Were you spinning one wheel when you tried to engage the diff lock and something went bang?
Re the power steering, have you filled the power steering oil?
noticed any leaks? Low power steering oil will have this effect.
Is there any pattern or activity that triggers the heavy steering?
No,the power steering and diff lock are completly different systems. You have 2 separate problems.
Someone who is familiar with the 231 will be along and ask the same questions so I am just starting the ball rolling.
Good luck, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum so your answers won't be to far away.

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock
Thanks for the quick reply. I have assumed that the power steering and tranny share the same oil. Obviously I could well be wrong, but haven't found more than one dipstick to check. The steering is mainly heavy to VERY heavy with short periods of being able to steer as it should. This might have something to do with driving on slush as I'm doing a lot of that at the moment. Oil levels look good, and I've not got any leaks that I can see.

I am pretty certain I snapped something in the locking mechanism for the diff lock - I had the wheel spinning and stamped on the pedal while it was still going. Classic newbie mistake. There was an audible "snap" sound and it stopped working.

I realise it's wishful thinking to think they could be related - I'm just at the start of my journey....

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock #5  
Hello chancer, I have been off line for most of the week.I am surprised some one else has not spoken up on this thread.
Power steering. Is completely separate to the transmission, and different oil as well.
Go to the right front of the engine and look for a round "can" mounted on it's side approx 2" thick by 6" diameter with a 4 or 6 sided plug head(early models had the 4 side plug head) at the 1 oclock position. There will be 2 pipes coming out the front of it This is the power steering resivor. Undo the plug and check the oil level, it should be at the plug level. If not top up with red POWER STEERING oil. This should fix the problem. However if the problem comes back ,check you oil level, if it is low you have a leak. If so then check the connections and hoses for leaks. If you don't find any then you have an internal leak.IE the power steering resivor seal has failed and is dumping the power steering oil into the engine. I had that happen on a MF240 model. If you change the power steering resivor seal then pay paticular attention to how you fit the seal.There is a knack to it ,but I have forgotten what it was.
I don't know if there is a filter on the power steering or not.
Re your diff lock , it sounds like you have broken 1 or more teeth off the diff lock mechanisim and will need to replace the broken part. I can't advise you further as I have never opened the transmission.

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock
Hi Redman,

THanks for the tips. I'll have a look over the weekend at the power steering and see what gives. Looks like getting to the transmission will be a bit of a pain - lots to take off in order to get at it. Ah well. One more for the list...

/ Massey 231 steering and diff lock #7  
I'm having a problem with the steering on my 231 also. There were 2 different pumps used on that tractor. The early production models you can easily find an aftermarket pump. My 231 is a 1998 model (letter G in serial number) and can not find a pump for it anywhere, only a seal kit thru Massey/Agco. It's part number 3901251M91. You will also need a gasket that mounts the pump to the engine, part number 3595174M2. The seal kit is $115 from my dealer and the gasket is a couple dollars. The steering filter for this pump is part number 18886135M1. The whole complete pump for my 231 is part number 3763633M91 but is discontinued!!! Plum ridiculous for such a strong & dependable tractor that isn't even 20 years old yet (19)!!!
I have a lot of info on the 231 including all the manuals (owners, parts/diagrams, service). Some for the MF 261 also. Reply to this thread or send me an email if you need anything. This goes for you & anybody else reading this. I like to help people & I hope this helps.