MF GC2300 w/ 2350 loader: Sudden Fast, Dirty Idle, then QUIT

/ MF GC2300 w/ 2350 loader: Sudden Fast, Dirty Idle, then QUIT #1  

tbrawny

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
I was just clearing a few inches of snow before a larger storm hits tomorrow night, and after pushing hard into a snowbank there was a large puff of black smoke and the engine sped up without adjustment to the throttle. I turned the throttle down to idle, but it was clearly faster than normal, with a dirty exhaust. I let it idle for a few minutes and then went back to work. Clearly there was a decrease in performance and it continued to have dirty exhaust. I continued to work slowly and then 10 min later the engine suddenly sped up even higher again, I turned it down to idle, and it quit. Now it won't even turn over. Any idea what is causing this? I thought I had a noticed a slow decrease in performance over the last few days, but wasn't sure.

I should also mention I have a small hydraulic leak from the valve manifold, with a sticking valve when trying to lower the bucket. It loosens up eventually during use, but not completely. After reading other threads, i think water has got into the return spring housings. I thought I could limp through the end of the winter with this issue and fix it in the spring.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

/ MF GC2300 w/ 2350 loader: Sudden Fast, Dirty Idle, then QUIT #2  
I was just clearing a few inches of snow before a larger storm hits tomorrow night, and after pushing hard into a snowbank there was a large puff of black smoke and the engine sped up without adjustment to the throttle. I turned the throttle down to idle, but it was clearly faster than normal, with a dirty exhaust. I let it idle for a few minutes and then went back to work. Clearly there was a decrease in performance and it continued to have dirty exhaust. I continued to work slowly and then 10 min later the engine suddenly sped up even higher again, I turned it down to idle, and it quit. Now it won't even turn over. Any idea what is causing this? I thought I had a noticed a slow decrease in performance over the last few days, but wasn't sure.

I should also mention I have a small hydraulic leak from the valve manifold, with a sticking valve when trying to lower the bucket. It loosens up eventually during use, but not completely. After reading other threads, i think water has got into the return spring housings. I thought I could limp through the end of the winter with this issue and fix it in the spring.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don't know your tractor, but looks like it is a smaller diesel per tractordata.

Never hurts to cover the basics - air and fuel. Make that sure you didn't pack the air filter with snow, and see how clean the air filter is. It's sounding almost like too much fuel, but at least check the fuel filter. If it's been "a while" since it was changed, toss a new fuel filter on - some compacts have pretty tiny OE filters.

Rgds, D.