Starter or Electrical

/ Starter or Electrical #1  

woodchuckie

Platinum Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L 2800
Was trying to start my Kuboto 2800 (not hydro-stat) jumping it off as usual because its been weeks since I've used it. I was using one of those portable battery thing and it wouldn't start it so and the last thing I heard was from the starter. Sounded like when the starter won't quite turn, just click. I hooked up my regular charger with a 50 amp booster. I got nothing at all. All circuits were dead. No lights, no hazard, no heater coil?.
I put voltage directly to the starter to see if it would work. It didn't. No blown fuses. I put the charger back on the battery just to finish charging while I left to take care of other things. The lights now worked so I tried the switch again and heard the loud click(just one) from the starter and everything is dead again. So should I take the starter off and is there a way to test it.

/ Starter or Electrical #2  
If everything is dying you have a bad battery cable or connection. Check that first and go from there.

/ Starter or Electrical #3  
Use a voltmeter and locate the fault instead of guessing, much cheaper and faster than random replacement parts.

/ Starter or Electrical #4  
Use a voltmeter and locate the fault instead of guessing, much cheaper and faster than random replacement parts.

I wouldn't randomly replace any parts, I'd check the battery cable ends. More than likely it's a positive end corroded but could be the negative side. Clean one end or the other on the positive cable and that's probably it. I guess I should have been more specific in my first post :)

/ Starter or Electrical #6  
When checking the cables, check the ends where they attach to the starter and frame and not just at the battery.

/ Starter or Electrical
Ok thanks for the info. I'll get right on it now that I have a little time.

/ Starter or Electrical #8  
You also might TAP on the side of the starter with a hammer in case the brushes have moisture under them.
But the cables do sound suspect.

/ Starter or Electrical #9  
I had a service call on a generator that was doing the same thing you described. I replaced the battery and same thing happened. screen went dark and just a loud clunk sound. I traced the ground wire to the point of attachment and i could swivel the thing by hand. it worked loose even with lock washer. re tightened everything and put the old battery back inplace. fired right up

/ Starter or Electrical #10  
hi i had the same trouble with my bx and i clean all the battery cable and all the wire going to the starter and the ground and its start like a new tractor and got the same battery 2005 bx 1830 640 hr