Is my bush hog dead?

/ Is my bush hog dead? #1  
Tractor
Mitsubishi FD2050
My bush hog was making some odd noises and so I investigated. It looks like it's never had any gear oil. OK, I know I should have checked once I got it home, but I didn't. I've attached some pictures. If I pick out the bits and fill it full of oil, will it be OK? It is just case of sticking it back in and tightening the bolts? I was going to use some gasket sealant to seal the connection.

Actually, how do I fill it full of oil? the hole at the top is quite small...is there a special oil filling device?

gear_2.jpggear_1.jpg

Any advice?

thanks

Pete

/ Is my bush hog dead? #2  
They are not supposed to be full, there should be another plug on the side.
You remove both plugs and fill until fluid runs out the lower hole.
I would add about 25% STP or some other super lub to help it out.

/ Is my bush hog dead? #3  
Yes- putting it back together is worth a try rather than just replacing parts. Do either of the shafts feel loose? Hopefully the lower oil seal is still intact.

In terms of filling it- you can buy a filler hose that threads onto a gallon or quart jug. Walmart probably sells them in the automotive department.

/ Is my bush hog dead?
thanks for the replies...neither shaft feels loose and it was quite a struggle to get it apart. I think the tricky part will be getting the bits out. It doesn't have to do a perfect job as long as it lasts another season. I might tip a bit of oil in there to see if it holds or if it leaks out. I guess it's better to try that while its apart rather than seal it up and then have to take it all apart again.

/ Is my bush hog dead? #5  
You can buy gear lube in a squeeze bottle. Just cut the tip and it will fit in the hole to fill to the mark. Usually about half way. Most new equipment is shipped dry and the owners manual states how to add lube before using. Not sure how long you used it dry but you may have damaged the bearings running them dry. The gears don't look right to me either but try adding lube and see how bad the noise is.

Attachments

• gear lube.jpg
    gear lube.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 133
   / Is my bush hog dead? #6  
Doesn't look good to me.
Looks like it was rubbing the case like the bearings are already toast.

/ Is my bush hog dead? #7  
There is a lot of wear on those gear teeth, it's gonna be noisy. Clean the metal dust and grit the best you can with solvent and compressed air, put it together with new seals if necessary and fill it with half whatever it calls for and about half moly gear additive. Moly really works; my dad bought a boat that had an old outboard with the gearcase in just as bad shape, you could barely turn the prop by hand. He cleaned up the rust and filled it with moly dosed lube and the longer he ran it the smoother it got.

/ Is my bush hog dead?
I bought the tractor and bush hog second hand...neither were well cared for which is why they were cheap (and why I could afford it). With help from a knowledgeable friend we fixed the tractor engine issues - bent piston rod. I've just tested for an oil leak in the gear box and of course there is a leak which is why its empty. I guess I can take the whole thing apart. At least it'll be a learning project if nothing else. Are there any good you-tube videos about taking bush hogs apart? The only one's I've seen use a large grinder and I don't see how they were going to put it back together. Should I try to take the housing off the top of the gear box? or do I need to attack it from underneath?

/ Is my bush hog dead? #9  
I've never worked on a bush hog, but they seem pretty simple in principle. With the blade and whatever it mounts to removed, the vertical shaft and gear (pic 1) should lift out and be removable as is. Then you can drive out the seal from the inside. Of course there should only be about 4 bolts holding the gearcase to the housing, and if you can take it off it will be easier to work on and it can be cleaned thoroughly in the parts washer and reassembled on a bench where it's easier to work. Be sure and check the shaft that the seal goes over carefully, don't want any burrs or excessive rust to tear the new seal from the get go. I clean them good on a wire wheel grinder and put a thin coating of white grease on the shaft to make it as painless for the new seal as possible. If there is a big groove scored into the shaft right where the seal runs (which is quite possible with the abrasive mix that was in there) you might still have a leak. won't be able to tell until the shaft is out for a look. If you know who made the hog, you can possibly find a manual with a parts breakdown on one of the free manual sites.

/ Is my bush hog dead?
ok, I'll give it a go. The housing is held down with 4 bolts, but the gear looks too big. I wonder if the housing will lift off? Still, that's tomorrow nights job. Ultimately I don't mind how it sounds as long as it does the job. The land I have is rough and it's mostly about keeping it straight until I'm more organised. I'm new to this and learning all the time.