Turn the key off...motor keeps running

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #1  

BuckeyeWilly

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
I have an older (2006?) Kubota BX24. Had a friend borrow today to do some work at a graveyard that is run by our church. Clearing some brush & removing a few stumps and also moving top soil around. Got a call from him a few hours later saying he can't get it started. He had left it parked on a pretty good slope to take a lunch break and then it wouldn't start. Took us about an hour of trying different things and it finally started. Moved up to level ground and left it run for about 15 minutes and then went to turn it off. Would not shut off....turn the key off and it just kept right on running. :laughing: Loaded it on the trailer and brought it home that way. Any ideas?

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #2  
Most diesels shut off the fuel. There should be a shut off solenoid on the fuel pump. Sounds like yours could be sticking. Maybe try tapping on the pump close to where the wires are with a rubber hammer. You can shut it off by choking off the air but that won't fix your problem.

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #3  
Elec. fuel solenoid not working. It's prolly the only thing that you don't recognize on the motor that has a wire going to it with a little rod coming out of it on or near your fuel pump. If it start's now, you can manually push or pull it to kill the motor or just stall it in a high gear. (for now).

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running
Thanks guys. We shut it off by pushing on the little rod. Will inspect the fuel solenoid in the morning. Read on another post that it could be a blown fuse. Will check them also.

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #5  
Likely the solenoid is sticking which caused both the no-start (stuck in the "no fuel to engine" position) and then the no-shutdown (stuck in the "fuel to engine" position.

IF the fuse is good, replace the solenoid.

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #6  
The solenoids I have had to deal with are "on", fuel path open, when the key is on. No power, no run. Which eliminates a fuse from being the problem.

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #7  
The solenoids I have had to deal with are "on", fuel path open, when the key is on. No power, no run. Which eliminates a fuse from being the problem.
Most fuel shutoff solenoids on diesels are run off of a timer, they run for X seconds after you turn off the key.

Aaron Z

/ Turn the key off...motor keeps running #8  

Which is why I said it's probably sticking. Can create both a no-start and a no-stop condition, depending on where it sticks.

That may not be it, but it's worth checking out.

Appreciate all the comments. Had a busy schedule today and never had a chance to look at it. Going to check it out in the morning. My buddy did ask a local mechanic and he told him its probably the ignition switch.

Update...it was a fuse. Working like a charm !