Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I do all my own maintenance if at all possible. Change fluids in my tractors, cars boat, motorcycle andrepair broken parts etc.
Today I decided I would install the new air filter that I have had for over a year for my Honda Goldwing GL1500. Even with a step by step tutorial, it took me about 3 hours to change the air filter and get all the parts back on that I had to remove. I had to remove everything from seat forward just to get to the air filter. I think Honda engineers could use some tutoring from tractor engineers on how to make things accessible. But not car engineers because they have made it impossible to service anything on a car other than oil change and even that is sometimes a bit hard to do without taking an oil bath.

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #2  
Gary, you hit the nail on the head, our very experienced auto mechanic will not work on my wife's 2014 Rav4. It takes a specific wrench just to remove the oil filter housing, what's wrong with a simple spin on filter? Apparently with this vehicle it's really easy to crack the housing if it's not done just right with the special wrench:thumbdown:

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #3  
The GL1800 Goldwing I used to have was the same way. Changing the air filter was major surgery. I never raked up the nerve to try it.

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #4  
Same here. I've done all my own routine maintenance on all my vehicles and equipment since I got my driver's license in 1965.

I've rebuilt a half-dozen motorcycles, a tractor, and more SBC engines than I can recall.

I've found as I get older (I'm 66) that I'm way more willing to sign a check than crawl under a car any more. I'm even paying someone else to do my oil changes and I NEVER thought that would happen.

Actual mechanical work? Fuggedaboudit.

I have a '16 Yamaha FJ09. I looked at a YouTube video on changing the spark plugs. Sufferin' Succotash! I'm pretty sure I could change the oil, but hey, I got a Free Regular Maintenance deal when I bought the bike, I'll just take it to the dealer!

One of my brothers is a way better mechanic than I am, has an older 'Wing. Had a transmission issue of some sort. He researched the procedure, tallied up the likely parts total and time involved...and sold the bike.

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #5  
Same here. I've done all my own routine maintenance on all my vehicles and equipment since I got my driver's license in 1965. I've found as I get older (I'm 66)

If you're 66, born in '50 or 51, how did you get your license in 1965. You would have been 14 (or 15 depending on when your B'day is). Are there states that issue licenses at 14,15?

Last edited:
   / Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #6  
Well - I have a theory regarding this situation. Tractors are, generally speaking, easy to get at and service because the are not chrome plated, don't have to look like they are faster than a bolt of lightening while standing still and grub around in the dirt. Motorcycles, on the other hand, must look hot, fast, shiny and sexy all the time. This leads to all external components, on a M/C, being tucked in, fit tight in their place and everything being crammed into as tight a space as possible.

I do all my own maintenance on my tractor - I open my check book when it come to service on my motorcycle. Even though my M/C is easy to service - BMW - I don't have the required special tools, electronic test equipment and patience.

I've also found the blood from a busted knuckle doesn't look good on Harley chrome either. You want to know how to make a Harley salesman turn white and pass out.
Ask them if that shiny new Hog could have all the chrome stuff removed and replaced with equipment painted flat grey. I see now there are a few models that are void of any chrome.

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #7  
If you're 66, born in '50 or 51, how did you get your license in 1965. You would have been 14 (or 15 depending on when your B'day is). Are there states that issue licenses at 14,15?

I'm from Maine myself and was born in 1941, got my drivers license in 1956 in my dad's '36 Pontiac. Back in the day, you had to be within 6 months of your 15th birthday to test for your learner's permit; most kids I knew were driving some sort of vehicle long before that

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #8  
Even though my M/C is easy to service - BMW - I don't have the required special tools, electronic test equipment and patience.

Exactly why I have two "modern" BMW motorcycles for sale now. My keepers are all pre-'96, all air cooled, and maintenance is a breeze, even on the fully faired RT touring bike.

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #9  
I'm from Maine myself and was born in 1941, got my drivers license in 1956 in my dad's '36 Pontiac. Back in the day, you had to be within 6 months of your 15th birthday to test for your learner's permit; most kids I knew were driving some sort of vehicle long before that

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. I learned how to drive tractors and farm trucks at 10 and cars at 13 but had to wait till 16 for learners permit then to license. Got motorcycle license at 18 and CDL at 21. I'll be 65 later this year so there's a lot of members in my age group.

Last bike I owned was a Suzuki VL1500 all dressed out. Sold it quite a few years ago and got into Classic cars and street rods because they were something I could still work on. As Gary said, the newer stuff is getting harder and harder for the average guy to work on without disassembling half of the vehicle..

/ Tractor repairs are a breeze. Try working on a motorcycle to prove the point #10  
I don't mind working on modern motorcycles and cars. There's more stuff to take off the bikes to get to things but that's what the shop manual is for. Once you've done it a few times it's not hard. I suppose I should find tractors easy then. But the bolts are all so big! I have to buy some larger wrenches.