Seal assembly

/ Seal assembly #1  

Deerlope

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900
Has anyone ever put a shaft seal in a mid PTO unit on a Kutoba? If so, how diffcult is it to do. I know that I have to drain all the oil because this is the lowest point in the system. I don't have a good illustration break down of the unit.

/ Seal assembly #2  
<font color="blue"> don't have a good illustration break down of the unit. </font>

Speaking as a non-mechanic who has tackled many mechanic type jobs on my tractor--get the service manual and parts cataloge before you dive in. One do-it-yourself project like this will pay for the manuals in the labor cost you save, and they will provide the "good illustration" that you need. Good luck.

OkieG

/ Seal assembly #3  
I just did the one on my Cub Cadet. I know it is not a Kubota. I would think they would be quite similar. I did not drain the oil in the case. I only lost about a pint from changing the seal. I popped one out and the other seal right in., The fit on mine was not extremely tight. I was able to use a chisel and get behind the seal lip and it came right out. I used a large socket to put the new one in. I believe the lack of lost fluid is due to very small oil holes to feed the mid-pto. Otherwise a seal failure would dump 5-10 gallons of fluid in minutes.