#%~# Bradford Pear thorns

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #1  

69 SS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3901 W Kubota LA 525 fel
Good guy helps those in need,coworker tractor dead 4 years ,needs pasture bush hogged ,clean pasture except full of @&$! Bradford Pear trees 4-10 ft tall ,bushhog pasture last Saturday ,today both front tires flat. Tires full of thorns. What should I do to fix tires ,take to tire shop and get raped on repair,fill with green slime and hope for best or what other options do you guys have. Really don't know what choice to make so I will get good answer from here. Thanks in advance and good luck on all your projects.

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #2  
Consider adding special puncture resistant tubes and tire liners/guards.

I have wrestled with tires at home. I prefer having a tire shop do tire work. Tire shops have the right tools.

Have you R1 or R4 tires? Filled with air or filled with liquid?

LINK: tractor tire inner liners - Google Search

Last edited:
   / #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #3  
Sounds like jeff9366 has a plan. If the shop misses one thorn sticking out just a little or when the parts of a thorn finish coming thru you have another flat. The liners would perhaps help on this.
Having the tiers filled solid with urethane or foam would be a option also. Bit more pricey but at least its the front tires.

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #4  
Good guy helps those in need,coworker tractor dead 4 years ,needs pasture bush hogged ,clean pasture except full of @&$! Bradford Pear trees 4-10 ft tall ,bushhog pasture last Saturday ,today both front tires flat. Tires full of thorns. What should I do to fix tires ,take to tire shop and get raped on repair,fill with green slime and hope for best or what other options do you guys have. Really don't know what choice to make so I will get good answer from here. Thanks in advance and good luck on all your projects.

69 SS,

Are you SURE that the thorns are coming from the Bradford Pear trees?? Are they REALLY Bradford Pear trees?? I ask, because we have 4 Bradford Pear trees and NONE of them have any thorns. They flower first thing in the Spring, then get the leaves going. They are called pear trees because of their SHAPE, they do not produce any fruit. Ornamental only.

Dave

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #5  
...They are called pear trees because of their SHAPE, they do not produce any fruit. Ornamental only.

Dave
"...people have been noticing the ornamental pears we thought could not spread are. And, they are doing so quite prolifically....."

You can read more about it but they are wild Bradford Pear. Mowing them does nothing more than make them sprout from the roots even more. Chemical treatment is needed.

As for tires, Slime doesn't work for long term... for now, it will plug the leaks but you'll have to air up your tires now and then... you can put tubes in but most likely they will be punctured in a short time if you don't remove all of the thorns.

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns
Sorry,R4 tires, filled with air,glad it wasn't rears they were filled with liquid whatever dealer put in them.put 45 psi in yesterday,today left front 30 psi,right front 35 psi washed tires ran water over them didn't see any bubbles,nothing around valve stems,no good deed goes unpunished,will call around and see who does the foam thing. I love my wife but she just said "well why don't you just buy new tires",only 124 hrs on the ones I have now. Thanks for all who responded. Does anyone remember when all the lawn and garden centers were selling Bradford Pear trees,now the state of SC declares them a nuisance non native invasive species and to eradicate them because they grow faster than anything else and shade out other trees

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #8  
Our bradford pear trees produce fruit. Especially the second generation ones, one of them actually produces fruit over an inch in diameter. While I wouldn't call them thorns they do have sharp points where new branches are growing. Nothing like the thorns on honey locust though. We don't have issues with them spreading though, the second generation ones were intentionally grown.

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #9  
ask your tire dealer for some sealer, they have some better than the green slime, you / they will never get all the thorns out. we had the same thing happen, put sealer in them and they are still running after about 5 years. as for the bradford pear tree's they are the result of birds eating the seeds then wild bradford trees start coming up. only wild bradford's have thorns

/ #%~# Bradford Pear thorns #10  
Just put sealant in them and watch the air pressure. They will seal up and be fine. We have those big thorn tree's around here (acadia?) and have had to run sealant in tractor tires for years. Just part of doing business.