Safe way to work under loader.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #11  
When done do not forget to remove the angle iron , start the tractor release the pressure from it settling then remove. I'm not sure it this word of caution is necessary but felt it wouldn't hurt.

/ Safe way to work under loader.
Certainly doesn't hurt to mention that. I'll probably write myself a note to tape to the steering wheel.

Do I need to do that treatment to both loader arms or is one good enough?

Thanks, again.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #13  
I just do one as that's all that comes on my backhoe like the pic. Eddie posted.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #14  
Certainly doesn't hurt to mention that. I'll probably write myself a note to tape to the steering wheel.

Do I need to do that treatment to both loader arms or is one good enough?

Thanks, again.
One may suffice but as my Dad used to say, "better safe than sorry". Angle iron is cheap compared to your noggin!

/ Safe way to work under loader. #15  
I would never work under a elevated loader, my l3240 loader comes off in 5 minutes, I'll spend the time to save my life or losing a limb. My 2 cents

/ Safe way to work under loader. #16  
My backhoe has the same bar as EddieWalker showed. Since it's attached to the loader it's secure. I'm sure that using a piece of steel in place of it would work but I wouldn't trust it. You are not going to know if it's going to hold until the unthinkable happens. I wouldn't want to find out that duct tape ripped, a tie wrap broke, or what I thought was secure wasn't and the steel slid off what it was braced against. Since I have a 2 post car lift I bought several stands from Harbor Freight for safety when working under a car. They easily go about 8 feet tall. Since I'm working in the garage on cement I put one on each side of the loader. But I rarely do work on the tractor with the loader on but I do use the loader to lift things up to the second floor in my garage and being able to leave the loader raised for hours without risk is worth it to me.

image_23052.jpg

/ Safe way to work under loader. #17  
Maintenance on my L5740 would be much easier if the loader was not in the way. Absent taking it completely off, is there a safe way to raise it and work under it?

A number of options come to mind. Problem with all of them is that you are betting your life that they will work.

1 - Build a "Jack Stand" out of wood or steel.
2 - Park it against a tree.

This forum has been amazing so I thought asking here would probably give great results.

Cylinder Support.jpg

I made one like this for each side. Use a sump pump hose first do the cylinder don't get scratched. A bolt keeps it in place.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #18  
View attachment 503090

I made one like this for each side. Use a sump pump hose first do the cylinder don't get scratched. A bolt keeps it in place.

That's an interesting set-up Mate, and one that I haven't considered as I've not raised my 300CX that high IOT work under it. I've simply used the 'rest bars' (that are bolted to the arms = 1/2-way raised)... my dealership service bloke showed me that trick when he came out to do my first (free) 50hr service.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #19  
I would never work under a elevated loader, my l3240 loader comes off in 5 minutes, I'll spend the time to save my life or losing a limb. My 2 cents

It can be a PITA. Like servicing the air filters or blowing out the radiator and other coolers daily. With an empty load, no bucket or attachment, I don't see it falling fast enough that I couldn't get out of the way. The weight would be minimal anyway compared to loaded. And what could happen? A valve opening or a hose bursting with an empty load? I don't see it.

View attachment 503090

Nice!!! That is how my friend does it on older equipment that you can't take the loader off easily. Mostly something that will leak down over time, not because it will suddenly break and fall.

I take my loader off (it is EASY) just a as a courtesy for my mechanic. ;)

/ Safe way to work under loader. #20  
It can be a PITA. Like servicing the air filters or blowing out the radiator and other coolers daily. With an empty load, no bucket or attachment, I don't see it falling fast enough that I couldn't get out of the way. The weight would be minimal anyway compared to loaded. And what could happen? A valve opening or a hose bursting with an empty load? I don't see it.

I've worked around heavy equipment most of my life and I can verify for you that hydraulic failures can and do happen that way. When a catastrophic failure happens, you won't know about it until it is on the ground. I have seen it happen many times.