Safe way to work under loader.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Maintenance on my L5740 would be much easier if the loader was not in the way. Absent taking it completely off, is there a safe way to raise it and work under it?

A number of options come to mind. Problem with all of them is that you are betting your life that they will work.

1 - Build a "Jack Stand" out of wood or steel.
2 - Park it against a tree.

This forum has been amazing so I thought asking here would probably give great results.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #2  
Don't know how safe or wise it is but parking against a tree and or resting the bucket on one of my flatbeds has always worked for me.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #3  
I never worried about it, considering what there is and isn't to worry about. If I did I'd get a 4x4 post and stick under it.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #4  
When my Branson was delivered along with implements, they had the loader bucket raised over an implement on the trailer. It was propped up with pieces of angle iron along the cylinder rods, keeping the bucket raising cylinders from retracting. They'd put duct tape over the ends of the angle iron to keep them from gouging the paint, and duct taped the angle iron to the rods so it wouldn't fall off.

When I get around to it I will make something similar for propping the loader up for maintenance. It has the advantage of not getting in the way itself like a stand would.

The Branson like a lot of tractors has a lock on the loader control to prevent movement like someone bumping it while you're under it. If you trust the hydraulics to not malfunction while you're under there, that'd be sufficient. The Branson dealer said that they require the the loader to be propped up when their mechanics are working under a raised loader.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #5  
new-holland-lb110_2.jpg

This isn't my backhoe, but it shows the bracket that's attached to the loader. I don't have any pics handy of mine. When the loader is fully lifter, you pull out a pin and the red colored U shaped bracket swings between the loader and the cylinder to hold the loader up. It takes a couple seconds to put it into position, but once there, it will never come down until its removed. Go look at a backhoe in person if the picture isn't clear enough.

/ Safe way to work under loader. #6  
When my Branson was delivered along with implements, they had the loader bucket raised over an implement on the trailer. It was propped up with pieces of angle iron along the cylinder rods, keeping the bucket raising cylinders from retracting. They'd put duct tape over the ends of the angle iron to keep them from gouging the paint, and duct taped the angle iron to the rods so it wouldn't fall off.

When I get around to it I will make something similar for propping the loader up for maintenance. It has the advantage of not getting in the way itself like a stand would.

The Branson like a lot of tractors has a lock on the loader control to prevent movement like someone bumping it while you're under it. If you trust the hydraulics to not malfunction while you're under there, that'd be sufficient. The Branson dealer said that they require the the loader to be propped up when their mechanics are working under a raised loader.

^^^What he said^^^ A mechanical blocking method to keep the cylinders from retracting is the quickest, easiest way to make working under a raised bucket safe. "It's the industry standard."

/ Safe way to work under loader. #8  
Tall tripod transmission jacks would work too, but take up room - the angle iron to prevent cylinder retraction is most positive controlling and least obtrusive.

/ Safe way to work under loader.
Thanks to all!

What a great asset this forum has become.

Off to purchase a piece of angle iron.