Harbor Freight lawsuit

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #21  
Sounds like it is about the deception in advertising not about the lack of quality of the products. I don't go there but maybe once every 5 years or so, I like to search out better merchandise for the most part, I do have a set of the tall stands for use under one of my car hoists and the look well made. Besides it is 100 + mile trip one way for me.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #22  
Couldn't have said it better myself. I won't be participating in this lawsuit. I know exactly what I'm getting for my money and choose what to buy based on my needs. I've never once felt slighted.

The only bad thing is the lawyers get paid whether you participate or not...In the fine print somewhere it shows HF has to pay out something like 23 million in refunds and if that number isn't reached they have to meet it by paying more to those who did fill out the claim.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #23  
So question for those bemoaning the lawyers that brought this suit....

What if instead of it being HF, the party being sued was whatever company keeps calling me because my "automobile warranty" or the company calling me telling me that they will reduce my credit card interest? Would your opinion change then?

What about a class action against VW for their active deceit about the emissions on their automobiles?

Just curious.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #24  
So question for those bemoaning the lawyers that brought this suit....

What if instead of it being HF, the party being sued was whatever company keeps calling me because my "automobile warranty" or the company calling me telling me that they will reduce my credit card interest? Would your opinion change then?

What about a class action against VW for their active deceit about the emissions on their automobiles?

Just curious.

Harbor Freight is different than an "automobile warranty" company calling you because those companies do not have hard assets. They just fade away and pop up somewhere else so a lawyer will never go after them.

A Volkswagon type of lawsuit is again totally different because you would have to prove a fiduciary loss - or a lawyer would have to prove a fiduciary loss to the class action participants which is pretty tough to say you incurred a fiduciary loss due to their deceit. Now if they had done something that caused a class of customers to incur a fiduciary loss, i.e. failed transmissions and not covering warranty then they are game.

The problem with Harbor Freight is that who says how much a tool is worth. There are some very expensive professional grade tools out there say SnapOn or Fein and the like and who is to say that Harbor Freight tools do not compare. For years Craftsman inferred with their advertising that they were every bit as professional as a SnapOn just lower priced.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #25  
This is what happens when law schools turn out 10's of thousands of lawyers each year. Only a handful will have what it takes to make it in politics, a few more will make it in respected law firms, the rest are left to create frivolous endevors and become TV's famous 800 meat wagon chasers.

Good news, the House passed HR 720 and this should slow down some of the frivolous suits one it becomes law.

House Passes Bill Targeting ‘Frivolous’ Lawsuits | Bloomberg BNA

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #26  
You are not helping or not by sending in a claim form. They are getting the $10m regardless.
So take the money.
I've bought probably a $1,000 of "stuff" from HF during the time period. Getting the refund will help me buy more.

<snip>

Just curious.
The settlement I'm due to get from VW for my Jetta TDI seems to be far more than what comparably priced 2009 cars I was looking at are getting now, especially since condition doesn't matter. Bald tires, cracked windshield, torn seats etc. Just have to drive it in.

<snip>
The problem with Harbor Freight is that who says how much a tool is worth. There are some very expensive professional grade tools out there say SnapOn or Fein and the like and who is to say that Harbor Freight tools do not compare. For years Craftsman inferred with their advertising that they were every bit as professional as a SnapOn just lower priced.
Craftsman USED to warranty some of their hand tools FOR LIFE no questions asked. I've a friend who used to scour yard sales etc. for Craftsman and would constantly be returning beat up stuff he bought for new.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #27  
I agree. I will do nothing to help lawyers who make their living like this - they are just parasites.
I agree. How many people keep itemized receipts that long? Some may, but I'll bet the majority of us don't. I don't, unless there is an extended warrantee period for the item I purchased.

So most of us couldn't file a claim even if we wanted to. The leaches (lawyers) will end up with the bulk of the money) and they knew it from the beginning. That's why they file these cases like they do.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #28  
Those lawsuits leave me cold. They are meant to enrich lawyers more than help me. When I buy something at HF, I know what the quality is and what the value is. I buy items there because the product fills my needs at a good price. Sometimes I go elsewhere and buy premium products at a higher price. Often though, the HF product is just the ticket and saves me money. I don't feel wronged and won't be asking for $$.

If anyone else wants to - go for it. I personally don't feel like I was deceived.

The lawsuit has nothing to do with product quality. It is a suit about deceptive advertising. HF knows the rules, as do all companies of any size. It chose to break them. They got called on it. Now its time to pay up on the gamble. Pretty simple really. You cannot offer something at a "sale" price when the item was never sold at a price higher than the "sale" price. Given the 5 1/2 year time frame, this appears to have been a pretty blatant practice.

Enjoy the cheap tools, but don't try and defend them for lying to their customers. Because that is what they were doing with their ads.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #29  
The lawsuit has nothing to do with product quality. It is a suit about deceptive advertising. HF knows the rules, as do all companies of any size. It chose to break them. They got called on it. Now its time to pay up on the gamble. Pretty simple really. You cannot offer something at a "sale" price when the item was never sold at a price higher than the "sale" price. Given the 5 1/2 year time frame, this appears to have been a pretty blatant practice.

Enjoy the cheap tools, but don't try and defend them for lying to their customers. Because that is what they were doing with their ads.
Exactly! That is what the lawsuit is based on. However, how many people were actually gullible enough to actually believe that the higher selling price was real and they were getting such great bargains . I never did. But I still shopped at H.F. will that in mind.

/ Harbor Freight lawsuit #30  
Exactly! That is what the lawsuit is based on. However, how many people were actually gullible enough to actually believe that the higher selling price was real and they were getting such great bargains . I never did. But I still shopped at H.F. will that in mind.

That is the issue. Most if not all the people here are not that gullible. But the average homeowner probably is to some extent. Especially the ads that directly compare the HF product to the "name brand". The current one is their generator compared to a Honda. Not a chance I believe the HF one is better. However many will believe and buy.... otherwise HF would not remain in business.

The taking away of the right of a class action suit would mean HF would never be called on this. It would be much harder to call VW on their decption. In typical government fashion, the pendulum swung to far one way. Rather than push it back to the middle where it belongs we are going to push it too far the other way.