Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it

/ Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it #1  

KYErik

Platinum Member
Tractor
1977 AC 7000, 1980 JD 2840, 1963 Case 930, 1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe
Short version-

Taking proper safety precautions and anticipating a possible explosion, I used a 12 volt "dumb" charger to raise the voltage of three dead/non-chargeable 18-20 volt lithium drill batteries up to 3-4 volts, then placed them on the factory charger. Then the factory charger worked normally for all three batteries and there was no explosion.

Long version-

I had three lithium batteries that my chargers stopped working on over the last several years. 2 of them were 20 volt craftsman batts and 1 was an 18 volt hitachi. All three were at least 8 years old and had likely been sitting idle for at least 12 months when I noticed the problem (the factory charger would not charge them). Since then, they have been sitting for at least 1 year.

For the craftsman batteries, the charger did not light up or recognize them as attached- one had 0.1 volt, the other had 0.3 volts. For the hitachi battery, the charger showed it as fully charged while a voltmeter said it had only 0.2 volts.

From what I understand, lithium chargers must sense a small voltage before they will recognize/charge the battery- it seems like the cutoff is somewhere around 3-4 volts. So, you have to "wake up" the battery and get it above 3-4 volts. I used a "dumb" 12 volt battery charger set to 2 amps- this provided about 13 volts when attached to the drill battery. Knowing that lithium batteries can explode, to minimize property damage and the risk of personal injury I used a long extension cord and placed the battery in a 5 gallon bucket. I had 18 gauge wires stuck into the positive and negative terminals of the battery and then attached the charger's alligator clips to those wires.

Attached is a pic of the voltage when I began.

I plugged the extension cord in (from a safe distance) momentarily, then gradually worked my way up more and more seconds. The voltage would slowly drop after I unplugged the charger. Eventually after 5-6 minutes of plugging it in and unplugging it, the battery remained at about 4 volts even after the voltage dropped for a few seconds. The battery did not ever feel warm to the touch. I then plugged it into the factory charger- and the charger recognized it! This method worked for all three batteries! I am running the hitachi battery down right now in a work light and the capacity seems to be similar to battery that had never malfunctioned (I have 6 of these batteries and a variety of tools).

Attachments

• 20170326_174712.jpg
    20170326_174712.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 221
   / Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it #3  
Thanks for the info.

/ Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it #4  
99 times out of 100, this will work safely.

The reason they take such precautions in charging lithium based batteries, is the risk of "runaway". This happens when the resistance across a cell peaks in a small portion and localizes heat. This "hot spot" will trigger a runaway reaction throughout the cell, and cause meltdown or (worst case) explosion.

I would've done the same thing... except one part:

Next time, use a metal bucket. The meltdown temp of a runaway lithium could catch your plastic bucket on fire, faster than you could grab an extinguisher.

/ Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it #5  
I tried a similar thing with my NiCad Craftsman 19.2V batteries. I have an automatic charger that'll do 2-10 amps with a desulfate cycle and trickle charge once full (along with voltage and battery % readouts). It worked for a while, but eventually they didn't hold a charge and I upgraded to DeWalt 20V lithium. Hopefully they respond better than NiCad.

/ Reviving three "dead" lithium drill batteries- here's how I did it #6  
Risking your Harbor Freight meter there..... :laughing:

Good explanation. Thanks. :thumbsup: