How to choose a portable battery jump starter?

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #1  

betty2017

Tractor
Kubota BX-25D
As my title wrote, I need a portable jump starter.
But as a girl I am confused to choose which brand.
How can I choose a better one? Which brand do you use now?

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #2  
I don't have one if I did might buy HF or any auto store.

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #3  
Is it for a car, truck or tractor?

There are new style Lithium Ion jump starters available now that might be what you need.

For my diesel engines, I got this DieHard 1150 several years ago:

41by747uaML.jpg

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #4  
For my vehicles I now have the lithium ion style. Much more compact so I can leave one in each vehicle. Once a month I do take the time to make sure they still have a full charge. I use to have one that had an air compressor, light, and some other useless features. But every time I had to air up a tire I was either at home or it had a hole and needed more than just air.

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #7  
I would think this is one place you do NOT want a lithium battery.
The high current draw of starting a car is like a dead short.
The high current draw is what causes lithium batteries to explode.

The replacement battery for many of these jump packs seeems to be the 22Ah AGM battery.

agm battery 12v 22ah - Google Search

The AGM battery is a safe source of power,, but, needs frequent charging so as not to go dead,,,

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #9  
This is a video that a local powersport distributor put together about 2 years back, to demonstrate a lithium booster pack:

Crank Multi-Function Power Supply - YouTube

Don't know if they still sell that brand, but gives you and idea of what these packs can do.

Booster cables alone are dangerous enough, we all should really be wearing safety glasses every time we boost anything. Buddy of mine worked with a mechanic who had is face severely damaged - went to pull a starting battery out of a car trunk (OE location) and it blew up - turns out it wasn't vented properly, one spark was all it took.

Lithium packs are more expensive, but have similar advantages in battery boosters as with cell phones. I'd be reading a lot of reviews on a particular brand before spending the money on a lithium pack, you don't want a cheap knock-off.

Older AGM packs are cheaper, bulkier, and can work fine if you are somebody who remembers to re-charge them on a regular basis. A friend has had good luck with Stanley AGM packs with his service trucks. Dewalt makes a good pack, but is more money still, and bigger than most people want/need in a car.

Many packs now will have USB power built-in, I'd want that too on a new pack.

Rgds, D.

/ How to choose a portable battery jump starter? #10  
Might be best to just carry around a red or yellow top optima battery with you and cables.

I haven't found a jump starter yet that will crank a diesel engine or a flat dead lawnmower unless it's 100 percent charged.