Trouble going uphill

/ Trouble going uphill #1  

hayden73

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT 750
I have a Mitsubishi Mt750 that is having trouble going uphill. The engine seems to be running fine, but In order to get up even a small incline, it has to be put in low gear. I am in the process of cleaning the fuel system and air intake. Any other suggestions? Engine doesn't seem to be sputtering or having a hard time, just can't climb. Engine is an Isuzu 3 cyl diesel.

/ Trouble going uphill #2  
Is it in to high of a gear. I have a 45 HP tractor and I find myself having to downshift at times going up a hill on the road. It is steeper than a small incline but these tractors don't behave like cars do where all you do is just more foot into it.

Have you had the tractor for a time so you know how it is running normally and now it is different?

/ Trouble going uphill #3  
Most tractors I have ever seen needed to be in low range to climb much of a hill. You're talking about something with a power to weight ratio that is only about 20% of the average automobile. Tractors use gearing to create the power they need. Low gears provide the torque needed for the low power engine to move the hulk of steel up a grade. The highest gear on a tractor is generally lower ratio than the low gear of an automobile.

/ Trouble going uphill #4  
If the engine isn't straining or lacking the power to pull the hill in a higher gear but it still won't pull the hill, the clutch needs adjusting or replacing. If it's been out of adjustment for a long period of time, then it's probably shot and needs replacing.

/ Trouble going uphill #6  
...Engine doesn't seem to be sputtering or having a hard time...
I don't think this is it... but long time ago, someone thought his 4x4 was broken since his tires were not spinning while the back tires were spinning.

His rims were spinning around his front tires... something odd to check for. :confused3:

(Measure tire pressure)

/ Trouble going uphill #7  
Looks to me like you have a lot of weight to pull up a hill with the FEL and digger. Put it on a solid surface level straight away. With the throttle a little above idle, say getting 1500 rpms, in the gear where you are having a slight hill climbing problem, floorboard it....black smoke? Sluggish performance? Cleaned your injectors lately with "snake oil" additives? Pull your air cleaner off and do it again. Any change? When is the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

/ Trouble going uphill #8  
Is it HST or a gear transmission?

/ Trouble going uphill #9  
My Mitsubishi manual (Mahindra 1538) says you change the fuel filter when you experience a lack of power. I'd start there before you convince yourself it is a major issue.

/ Trouble going uphill #10  
My Mitsubishi manual (Mahindra 1538) says you change the fuel filter when you experience a lack of power. I'd start there before you convince yourself it is a major issue.

I bought an OTR tractor once that had been sitting for a long time. Came with 2 100 gal saddle tanks. Full of crud.....guy I bought it from (owned a diesel repair shop and this was a rebuild of his) gave me a case of fuel filters. (The engine was a 800 cu in, Big Cam Cummins and it self primed on a filter change.) He said run her till she starts getting weak on you....won't pull, won't take throttle, starts slowing down....... Pull over and change the fuel filter. Run her till it repeats and change again. Before you get through this case of filters your tanks will be squeaky clean and they were.

So, I'll second the fuel filter change Mr. Neumann brought up before you get too worried now that I think about it.