4x6 diesel Gator won't start

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start #1  

eastforkfarm

Tractor
massey 243
I have a 199x 4x6 diesel that won't always start. To get it to start, I can loosen the fuel filter bowl (to let out air I assume), and then it will start. After a few starts, it goes back to not starting. I've also kept the fuel tank full, but the problem still comes and goes. Any ideas?

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start #2  
start checking your flow starting at the tank and working towards the engine, I'm betting your mechanical fuel pump located on the block isn't pumping.

Shoot me your email and I'll send you a PDF of the Deere Tech manual for your gator, might help you now and down the road

Joe

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start #3  
Sounds like a problem I had with a 225 CAT in a Boom Truck.
Would start up fine cold but if I shut it off hot after a few minutes it would not start.
I would shut it off then turn the key back on if I was going back out with it.
My problem was the shut off solenoid would get pressure on it and not open until it cooled down.
At the time I could not afford a new solenoid! So I just used the key.

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start
start checking your flow starting at the tank and working towards the engine, I'm betting your mechanical fuel pump located on the block isn't pumping.

Shoot me your email and I'll send you a PDF of the Deere Tech manual for your gator, might help you now and down the road

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I now have a pdf version of the manual. I'm going to test the pressure of the pump. But, if the pump was bad wouldn't you think the gator would not run at all? If it starts, it runs like a champ. I used it all day yesterday. Only once did it fail to start.

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start #5  
Have you tried removing the gas cap before starting.

/ 4x6 diesel Gator won't start #6  
   / 4x6 diesel Gator won't start
Removing the cap doesn't work.