Case 580K backhoe troubles

/ Case 580K backhoe troubles #1  

RedLance

Tractor
Case 580K 4x4
Greetings,

A few months ago I was using my backhoe to move manure. Got out to do something, heard a metalic rattle from the engine area that then went away. Got back in and the tractor wouldn't move at all. Engine running, hydraulics worked, would not even try to move. This is a phase 3, with all the transmission in the rear end. Drive shaft between engine and transmission would not turn with engine throttled up. Could turn it by hand. Removed torque converter cover and found of the 6 bolts holding the converter to the flywheel, 4 were missing and 2 were sheared off.

Now on to the question. There is a disc that is supposed to be welded to the center of the converter, which goes into the flywheel. This disk is broken off of my converter. How important is this disk?

Picture is hopefully attached.

Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20170416_193325890.jpg
    IMG_20170416_193325890.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 264
   / Case 580K backhoe troubles #2  
Its been a while since I changed a torque converter on a 580K. I think the purpose of the disc is to center it to the flexplate. The torque was probably going bad which caused the bolts to back out allowing the disc to shear. Check the threads on the flexplate where the torque converter bolts up to make sure they were not damaged, if they are ok all you need is a new torque converter. My 580K was noisy in the torque converter but pulled ok. When I pulled the shuttle shaft out you could hear parts falling inside. Replaced the torque converter and all was well