International 385 Fuel Issues

/ International 385 Fuel Issues #1  

CypressJeff

Tractor
John Deere 5100E
Everything was running fine until I ran out of diesel. I added 10 gallons of fresh diesel and attempted to bleed the lines by disconnecting the lines at the injectors. Fuel came out for approximately 30 total seconds then everything dried up.

From what I see there are fuel lines on the Left and Right side of the tractor, each coming from it's respective side of the fue tank. There is also a fuel line connecting the Left and Right side of the fue tank located behind the fue tank - I have good flow on both sides of this line. On the Left side, there is a fue line that leads to the front Left side of the tractor - I have NO fuel flow where this line connects to the tank. I stuck a small wire into the tank from this hole and got nothing just an empty "tinging" sound. I disconnected the Right side fuel line between where the operators legs should be and I got a little fuel but not as much as I would have thought. At this point, darkness took over and I left it in the field.

Anyone have any ideas about why the Left fuel line is dry?

/ International 385 Fuel Issues #2  
Great tractors!
Easy to work on!
We know it is a fuel problem.
I see you only have 8 posts, so I am guessing you are new to tractors. Do not confuse the return line to the tank with being a supply line.
If I remember right, you should two fuel line coming out of the bottom of the tank and into one line forward to the fuel filters. All gravity flow. Make sure you are on level ground.
You can open the line at the fuel filter and see if you have flow.
The filters may have a air bleed on top of the filters. I think you have two filters.
Concentrate on getting fuel to the filters. Then getting it past the filters.
Once you get flow past the filters, you have a pump and injectors.
I have never had to bleed my injectors on any IH. Getting fuel past the filters has been the only thing I have needed to do.
Hope this helps.
After fuel is flowing out of the filters it should start.

/ International 385 Fuel Issues
Thanks alot for the help. I did get stuck on the return line. After I got past that I worked my way through getting gas to the injectors. Your post helped explain a few things and I appreciate it. She is running great now.

/ International 385 Fuel Issues
Yeah, I am new to tractors. I ordered a repair manual so I'll be more ready for the next issue!