repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #1  

pttdds

Tractor
Kubota B2150
Well, here's a new challenge! I'm asking for advice about repairing a somewhat bizaar problem. My diesel tank sprang 4 leaks. I recently dropped a holding pin from one of the main pins on my 3 point hitch. Replaced it with a bent 16 penny nail and went on my way. On my last refueling 4 mini-geysers of diesel appeared just above that pin. What had obviously happened? The nail had rotated a few times and poked neat little holes in the rear wall of the fuel tank. It is right out in the open, easy to see on the rear wall of the tank, but puzzling to fix.

Has anyone found a neat and simple repair for that kind of damage? Or, is my fuel tank history? Does "liquid solder" really work?

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #2  
I'm guessing this is a metal tank?

Ok.. standard disclaimers apply here... My recomendation is to get a new tank.. that's the single most safest and absolutely the best way to procede...

However I hear the following work quite decently.. but I'm not suggesting you do this:

There are at least two epoxy stick products that claim to repair fuel leaks.. one is jb-water weld epoxy stick.. claims to permanently patch fuel lines and tanks.. and even sticks to gasoline wet metal. ( or water for that fact.. )

There is also another brand? that claims to fix gas tanks and batteries that leak.

Next guess woud be to take a washer headed screw ad a piece of thin rubber.. like a piece of an innertube, and cut a patch out of it.. poke a small hole in it for the screw to go thru.. then screw this into the tank.. An oring o fthe right size may work as well.. if there is nothing to hold the screw.. a machine nut/bolt will have to be used.. this means that you will have to have access tot he back of hte hole.

I guess a combination of the two procedures would produce a good jury rig.. IE.. use a small screw/rubber gasket.. then epoxy over whole thing..

good luck.. be safe.. and uh.. I only recomended the replacement.. etc, etc..

Soundguy

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #3  
I had a hole in the bottom of a Yanmar fuel tank took the tank off took it to the car wash & washed it out good & brazed tho hole shut, or take it to a radiator shop & have it sodered. It may smoke a little but nothing to worry about as diesel fuel will not blowup like gas will. When done repaint tank & put back on & should be good as new

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #4  
Try a marine grade epoxy stick. I get mine in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart. This stuff will still be there after the tank is gone.

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #5  
I have had good luck with those epoxy sticks. just work it together real well, have the area real clean possibly roughed up a bit with sandpaper, and some has held for me for 20 years. Thought it was leaking a few years ago - here the next pop weld on the baffle was also leaking. This is on a 40 gallon big tractor tank.... Put another dab on that, & good to go.

I'm assuming metal as well, not sure what to do with plastic.

--->Paul

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #6  
I used an aluminum-plastic alloy on my ATV gas tank, hasnt leaked in years, it can be bought in small tubes of 100 grams , bought mine in a car parts store. brand name was Permatex but there may be others.

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #7  
I have used JB Weld epoxy with very good results. Use a piece of emery cloth to slightly rough up the surface and mix a small amount of epoxy. Apply it to a penny and place the penny over the nail hole. It will seal the hole and the penny will add a bit of strength to the bond. JB is available at most Home Depot stores.

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #8  
Take the tank off and start calling radiator repair shops. These often also repair fuel tanks by installing a liner.

Steve

/ repairing nail punctures in Kubota fuel tank #9  
proseal

This is the stuff i would use. it's used to seal aircraft wings for fuel. you can buy it at industrial supply companys . it's not cheap but boy does it work.
I get expired tubes at work for my use.

But as stated earlier i would price a new tank first.