Ideas for pulling a stuck head?

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head? #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
So this isn't exactly a tractor but, the International DT 360A was used in a lot of tractors and it's in my dump truck that I load with my tractor so, it's close...

I bought the dump truck in Dec and it ran great but, it appears that the previous owner didn't maintain the coolant system properly and we've got at least 1 perforated liner so I'm doing an in frame overhaul. I'm down to the head and have all the bolts out but, I can't get it to budge. I've always been able to break a head loose with a couple of sharp blows to the corners but, this is the first time I've worked on something this big or this old. It's a 1989 and there's no telling if it's ever been removed.

I know I can hammer a wedge or something in to start prying it apart but, I'd like to avoid that if I can do I don't risk doing damage to the head or, worse, the block. Does anybody have any suggestions?

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head? #2  
Try turning over the engine with the starter and see if the compression will pop it loose. You might want to put a few bolts back loosely just in case.

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head?
I managed to get it off this morning by getting a lever and fulcrum under a corner and putting some pressure on it. I guess it just needed to think about what was going to happen if it didn't comply to come to it's senses. Or my man muscles needed a night's rest to recharge. Or, I just got lucky. :)

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head? #4  
We never had to take heads off in the old days.

old-plow-e1302097371147.jpg

Bruce

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head? #5  
I hope it is a liner. Last time I had to replace a block because it had eroded between the sleeve and block.

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head?
Man, that sucks. If I find problems worth the block, I'll yank the whole thing and find a DT466 to put in it's place. The DT360A is a good motor but, the 466 is better and if it's all got to come out anyway, might as well go back with the more reliable of the two. It's a lot easier to find parts for the 466 as well.

/ Ideas for pulling a stuck head? #7  
I managed to get it off this morning by getting a lever and fulcrum under a corner and putting some pressure on it. I guess it just needed to think about what was going to happen if it didn't comply to come to it's senses. Or my man muscles needed a night's rest to recharge. Or, I just got lucky. :)

Just one night? You are lucky. :applause: