Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #21  
View attachment 507689View attachment 507690View attachment 507691

OK, this is almost embarrassing how easily it can be repaired. The hour meter is an off the shelf componant that is used all ovr. The display is held on with tabs. No soldering at all.

It's probably connected with what is called zebra strip. It's made of alternating layers of conductive and non conductive rubber strips that is squeezed between two lines of contacts one on the board and the other on the back of the glass LCD so alignment between the two is critical. Usually there is some sort of mechanical alignment aid in the design of the parts.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech
Thanks! With that in mind, my son and I tried another tack at getting it. We were able to get a proper display! While it won't go back together permanently; we were able to get the exact number of hours. I have two possibilities for replacing the hour meter set to that number! I have one clocking up (slowly) and will see if the programmable one will be a direct fit. One, or the other, will have it good as new.,

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #23  
Keep us posted. What did you actually do to get it showing?

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech
We were able to read the old hourmeter using a new LCD; just couldn't get it to stay put. So, I ended up connecting a new meter to a 12v battery and just let it run. Slowly, but surely, it got the right hours!
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #26  
Very nice! I'll definitely keep this in mind if I run into a bad LCD on mine. Thanks for the update!

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #27  
Rocky ridge farm- I am in desperate need of your help I stumbled across your post about fixing the digital hour meter on your John Deere.i have a John Deere 6403 2003 model.the hour meter went out on me and have been searching high and low to find a way to fix it without having to buy a new one that will be set to zero.mine lights up but doesn't show enough of the numbers to tell how many hours it has but every once in awhile you will look down and it wok be working but will go back to not working a few minutes later.i saw the picture of the one you bought as a replacement and it is identical to mine.how did you get it set to the right hours?my tractor currently has 1683 hrs as it worked yesterday for a whole 2 minutes.but who knows when it will decide to work again.if you could help me I would be truly grateful.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #30  
Dlt trekkers I will try that.i have checked for blown fuses and shorts and have it been able to locate any reasons so figure my LCD screen is bad.what does that fuse go to?