Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
My '02 Deere 4310 has an LCD hour meter that is now black.

There really is no good solution, as I want to sell the machine and don't want to lose value or misrepresent it to a potential buyer.

• Can't find a used cluster, and it probably would have way more hours if I did. Cost about $250.
  • A new cluster would show '000'. And cost $700
  • An aftermarket one has issues regardless of what it shows. Cost $45

Right now, the best answer is the last option, but I am thinking of diving in to see how tough it would be to replace the LCD panel. I had this suggested when I posted this in JD Owning. I wonder if there is anyone with any experience.

I plan on posting pics and details as I work through it!

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #2  
This may sound crazy, and you have to consider the source. The radio in my ford truck has a lighted LCD screen that sometimes won't show anything even though the radio will play fine. I noticed when it does that I turn it off then on a couple of times and maybe give it a thump with my finger and it will then light up. Think fluorescent light. Just a thought.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech
I keep hoping - this isn't backlit - it almost looks like it has an oil leak inside.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #4  
I had a tablet that had died.. screen looked liked like something had leaked inside.. it did not run when tilted, just dead..

51510550714__63A47E3F-9856-43D4-9169-48C2F60F8B5A.JPG Here it is

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #6  
That LCD is toast. You could just add another "separate" meter. Google " lcd 12 volt hour meter " and you'll find plenty. Look under "images".

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #7  
long time, no hear Mike!

Does it look like you could solder in a new one from the backside if you could procure one?

Hey, Tex!

IMG_0704.JPGIMG_0710.JPGIMG_0711.JPG

OK, this is almost embarrassing how easily it can be repaired. The hour meter is an off the shelf componant that is used all ovr. The display is held on with tabs. No soldering at all.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #10