Deere 4100 CUT Clutch installation problems

/ Deere 4100 CUT Clutch installation problems #1  

JwsIII

Tractor
JD 4111, JD 2210, Kubota L39, 1939 JD L, 1941 JD LA
I had the pilot bearing on the flywheel go out and chowder the splines in the clutch and on the shaft effectively leaving me stranded in the woods. Took it apart and replaced the pilot bearing, had the flywheel machined a few thousandths to smooth out the face, and bought a new clutch disk throw-out bearing and shaft. When I put it all together I could not get it into gear. I'd push the clutch in and it would still grind. It was not disengaging. Adjusted the clutch pedal to beyond specs and nothing. Took it all apart again and I saw something I don't know how to interpret. I put the clutch plate back on, used the shaft to center the disk and started a few bolts to hold it. When I started to torque the plate bolts the finger springs retracted, or in other words they did not stick out as far as they did. (See pic) they are now almost parallel with the plate not leaving a lot of travel for the throw out bearing to push them in.

Not knowing how it should look, this seems suspect to me. Clutch disk is "slightly" thicker than the old one but 13 years will do that on an old clutch. Technical manual says nothing about shims and none were present when I disassembled.

What am I missing. I'd buy a new clutch plate if I could see something wrong with the old one, but didn't want to just start throwing money at it until I reached out to the fount of knowledge here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

• Clutch assembly.jpg
    Clutch assembly.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 247
   / Deere 4100 CUT Clutch installation problems #2  
I know the fingers will move as the PP is bolted down, I do hate to ask, but you don't happen to have the disc in backwards?

/ Deere 4100 CUT Clutch installation problems #3  
Disc in backwards or wrong disc.
Joe H