Kawasaki V running on one cylinder

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well guys my problem this week involves a deere Ztrak twin that is running on one cylinder. I confirmed the dead cylinder had spark, then pulled valve cover and valve train works fine. So I'm guessing carb-had no carb cleaner handy-its my sons and I had stopped over today and got one of these.."hey dad can you look at this"-so I shot carb with wd-40.

By the way I had borrowed his Ztrak for my first mowing as his has a thatchcer/bagger which mine does not-kids always have better stuff-and it worked fine-he goes to use it and its running on one cylinder-so it did make it through the winter storage.

Any opinions appreciated-I did tell him to go get some carb cleaner.

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder #3  
Coil Pack???

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder
Coil Pack???

Help me out here- I pulled plug, hooked it back up to plug wire-grounded to engine and plenty of spark. Doesn't that say problem is not in ignition circuit?

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder #5  
My 920 did that under warranty, as I pulled it off the trailer, the Tech said it was the coil pack, gave me a loaner & I picked it up the next week. If it has spark, i'd run some Seafoam in the gas to see if it clears it up.

Ronnie

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder #6  
If it has spark, and has compression on that cylinder, whcih it should since you say the valve train looked right, then its probably a piece of trash in the carburetor. Those motors have essentially a 2 barrel carburetor and if a piece of trash get in one barrel of the carburetor then it will only run on the cylinder that is getting gas to it. Ive seen it multiple times when I worked at the JD dealership. Chances are its a piece of trash and seafoam probably isnt going to clear it up. If you clean the carb out I would change the fuel filter and blow the lines out just in case another piece of trash isnt lurking around, waiting to stop up you carb again

Thx Ronnie and Luke. will running air through fuel supply line to the do the trick? Hate to get into disassembling the carb.

/ Kawasaki V running on one cylinder #8  
I highly doubt it. I havent found anything other than disassembling that would get it out

ok Luke-thx-

Guys update on my issue. My son left it running for quite a while and I guess the shots of WD 40 did the trick-Back to running on both cylinders.
Thanks for your responses.
Bob