Strengthen shedder arms

/ Strengthen shedder arms #1  

Bulverde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I need help on a JD 613 Shredder. Should have bought a heavier duty model.

The metal arms that mount on the top of the shredder body and extend to the top mount of the 3-point have broken.

Does anyone know where I can get heavier duty arms?

Thanks

/ Strengthen shedder arms #2  
I think that I would make them ... or take it to a welding shop and let them make them. How and where did they break?
Leo

/ Strengthen shedder arms
The left side (looking from the back) arm broke right at the top mounting bolt. Don't know if it bound up or what caused it to break. I have 25 acres and some of it is treed and rocky. The 613 may have been a little light duty.

/ Strengthen shedder arms #4  
I think that you may be able to just weld this and you could reinforce it with a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch flat strap iron (steel). I have a 513 that I use behind a JD 5220 and cut 2+ inch thich brush and the only problem I have is shearing shear pins. I am going to put a slip clutch on it that I have from another mower and do away with the shear pin problem. I don't baby this thing very much and so far it has not had a problem staying with me. You could have gotten it bound up and something had to give! You can always increase the strenght of the support by making them from larger material. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Leo

/ Strengthen shedder arms #5  
Do you have the toplink "float" adapter for your cutter, or is it hooked up to a rigid pin? If it's rigid, you will probably experience this problem over and over. If you reinforce the cutter enough, the next thing to break might be where the toplink attaches to your tractor.

/ Strengthen shedder arms
jinman,

Sorry but what is a floating top link? There is an adjustable arm that extends from the top mount of the shredder to the top of the 3 point. The top mount of the shredder has no adjustment but there are extension arms that "float" ( I guess) and can swing fore and aft. Is this what you mean?

Thanks to all for the response.

Kurt

/ Strengthen shedder arms #7  
King Kutter with toplink float adapter

Kurt, where the toplink attaches to the rotary cutter, there should be something like is shown in the linked photo. It's normally about 6" long and allows the toplink to "float" back and forth as the cutter's tailwheel goes over rough ground. When yuo lift the cutter with the 3PH, the adapter rotates forward and allows you to lift the cutter. Some cutters have a slot cut where the toplink pin attaches to allow a similar movement. If yours doesn't have something like this, your toplink will feel every shock from the tailwheel running over rough terrain. Sure, the whole cutter will lift, but not until the cutter delivers a "hammer blow" to the toplink.

Did your cutter not come with one of these float adapters or something similar? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Strengthen shedder arms #8  
Hi,
The part you need is number 28 in the attachment to this reply. jinman is absolutely correct about your need for this if you are not using it. Also I am fairly sure that your tractor is a CAT 1 hitch. This cutter can be used on Cat1 or 2 you just need the little Cat 1 adapters. They are the little cylinders part number 29 (2 ea.) and 27 (1 ea.). I hope that I get the right file now and I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 430407-516 JD Mower 1email.jpg
    430407-516 JD Mower 1email.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 121
   / Strengthen shedder arms #9  
Here is the 513 which the mower you have. The "link" is a little different and the Cat 1 Adapters are shown a little better.
Leo

Attachments

• 430424-513 JD Mower 1email.jpg
    430424-513 JD Mower 1email.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
   / Strengthen shedder arms #10  
I have the 513 Rotary Cutter (Deere's name?) and I replaced the arms that were item #1 in EM14's attachment with chain. The chains tighten when the cutter is lifted, but are loose when the rear of the cutter raises, such as when backing up a ditch bank. I didn't have enough flexibility in the link arrangement that came with the rotary cutter, so went with the chains and they work well. The first clue that the long straps don't work is when they are bending during use.
Apparently yours just broke under the compression stress.

Attachments

• 430444-Chains.JPG
    430444-Chains.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 152