engine knock / clatter

/ engine knock / clatter
front of engine
1 cylinder - dry 50PSI - wet 75 PSI
2 cylinder - dry 49PSI - wet 80 PSI
3 cylinder - dry 50PSI - wet 80 PSI
4 cylinder - dry 50PSI - wet 80 PSI
rear of engine

during the wet test, i noticed a puff of "oil" coming out were i saw smoke originally. on the 1 cylinder spark plug.

tried tighten it down with the rubber o-ring that was on the test end, and still kept getting oil puffs shooting out.

i was also getting oil puffs shooting out around the "quick connect" during the wet tests.

as i was finger tightening the spark plugs (putting back in so nothing gets into the cylinders. the spark plug on 1st cylinder stopped. took spark plug out, and had a little piece of metal, like a broken off #2 pencil lead, just a little thing. hung up on the threads. removed it and spark plug finger tighten like normal.

the little metal washer that comes with the new spark plugs and was on old ones. looks good as in a full seal when they were installed initially. and nothing missing from the spark plugs or washers. so looks like i may need to dig into the engine to find out were the metal is coming from.

===========
will dig out manual later on, if memory serves it states what the compression should be for engine. (guessing i am messing something up on compression test, seems low compared to videos watched on youtube)

/ engine knock / clatter #12  
A lot of the older engines only had as low as 6-1 compression ratios.
The better information is that they are pretty even.

/ engine knock / clatter #13  
I have an Allis Chalmers C. It's main job is taking up shed space. Today I thought I'd use it to rake hay since I wasn't in a hurry. As soon as it started, it sounded like your video. If I had to guess with mine, I'd say a piston skirt broke off. It is still running on all 4 cylinders, as is yours. Neither sound like connecting rod knock to me. If a rocker arm broke, we'd be down a cylinder. So, I'm going with a piston skirt. I'll let you know when I tear mine down.

/ engine knock / clatter #14  
Test results seem good; that is not any real huge variation. Both dry and wet. I wouldn't worry about that aspect now that you have some results to go by, even if they're not at or close to specs.
I might try putting some Marvel Mystery oil, or Seafoam in each cylinder via the spark plug holes and let it sit for a while and then start it up and see what is going on. Don't rev it up, just let it run at idle and see if the 'noise' is still apparent. If something like a ring broke, for instance, you may notice some changes from 'lubing' the cylinders with either product.
Report back results.
If nothing changes, you could then drop the oil into a clean pan and see what's present. if something's broken you may find pieces, or visible signs of oil discoloration, etc.
After that, depending how difficult, and if you find particles, pieces, etc. you might be able to drop the oil pan to inspect the lower end and see if there are visible signs of damage. After that, if no signs, you can go ahead and pull the head to inspect and repair as needed.

/ engine knock / clatter #15  
I took the valve cover off of my C yesterday. I was lucky that the engine happened to stop in the right position, so I could see that one of the valves was sticking. The valve wasn't completely stuck. I think it was only sticking when cold and now it doesn't stick at all. I just happened to find a push rod that was way too loose. My theory that the push rod was causing all the clatter because the valve wasn't following it closed quickly enough to keep it tight. I'll let you know if anything changes.

/ engine knock / clatter
see about running a full sea foam treatment through the engine tomorrow, oil and gas combo doing. and see what happens. i remember something about carbon build up in the intake/exhaust manifold (single piece), and causing some issues. it been to many years and first bought tractor and dealing with some oil filters and hydraulic oil for it, that it came about from a local dealer.

if anything might help reduce some of the hand cleaning of the parts when i tear it down.

/ engine knock / clatter #17  
I agree there is a lot of snake oil out there but SeaFoam is a legit product. Now mostly small engines have carburetors with plastic or pot metal jets and needle and seats can't be removed. Sea Foam is the only remedy I have found to clear these problems.

/ engine knock / clatter
she made white smoke, and knock still there. will drain oil over couple days and begin tearing into her. still some other projects higher on the todo list.

already bought lapping tool, lapping compound, spring remover.

/ engine knock / clatter #19  
I ran my C for a couple hours yesterday without issue. So, it had to be a stuck valve that was causing all the clatter. If yours is making noise consistently, it should be pretty easy to verify or eliminated the valves as the problem if you run it with the valve cover removed.

/ engine knock / clatter
seafoam turned the engine oil pitch black for sure. drained the oil, and noticed something, stuck finger up inside oil drain hole, and finger came off with a lot of metal shavings.
S2300001.JPG

the metal shavings is something new in the oil since i really looked at things. when i put in a new clutch and split tractor, i did a pretty good clean up of tractor then. along with new pto rear end i put on i went over tractor thoroughly and there was no shavings in engine oil.

the coolant and engine oil looks like they never mixed. so going to assume no actual leak in a gasket or like.

=================
poped the cover over the rocker arms.

--connecting rods that have slack in them
1 - no slack
2 - yes slack
3 - yes slack
4 - no slack
5 - yes slack
6 - no slack
7 - yes slack
8 - yes slack
front of engine
and the very front rocker looks like it needs another washer to tighten it up some.

the rockers to springs. the rockers non of them are perfectly centered, and off just a little bit

i noticed a little bit of "crud" built up on the springs. other wise everything looks clean for valves/rockers etc.. kinda wondering seafoam cleaned up most of it. from way crud built up on the springs.

=============
letting the final little drips from oil pan drain out, along with coolant rain out.

slowly taking other stuff off, to take head off.

will get oil pan off hopefully later on tonight for inspection.

Last edited: