Negative wheel camber

/ Negative wheel camber #1  

56ford600

Tractor
Ford 630
Hello everyone,

I am brand new here, so I am sorry if this has been asked a million times. I just purchased a 56 Ford 600 with a loader. The previous owner replaced the front axle (axle only). The tractor has a large negative wheel camber ( out at the bottom - in at the top) on both front tires. I tried adjusting the axle to be wider, didn't help. When I had the tractor jacked up, I checked to see if the tires have any wiggle, they do, but very very little, the roll fine and turn fine. My only thoughts are the spindles are bent. I have no idea how to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am concerned they will just snap under load.

I am sure I will be a frequent poster as I try to fix it up, runs good, but LOTS of leaks, some 3 point hitch issues etc. But that is the joy of owning a 60 year old tractor.

Thanks.

/ Negative wheel camber #2  
Axle upside down (or make it so) ?

/ Negative wheel camber #3  
I couldn't find the kingpin inclination but I did find this picture that might get you in the ballpark to see if you have bent spindles or bent axle or perhaps both.

spindles.jpg

This site might be of some use to you (if you don't have it already).

Smith's Old Ford Tractors

/ Negative wheel camber #4  
Spindle bearings worn out?

/ Negative wheel camber
Thanks, I hope to investigate further on the weekend.

/ Negative wheel camber #6  
My Ford 4000's spindles were bent between the bushing lands on the vertical part. Made the tires rub on the knees.

/ Negative wheel camber
Is the axle supposed to rise up from centre as it continues towards the tires? The outer edge of the axle is noticably higher than the centre.

/ Negative wheel camber #9  
My guess is it is from too much weight load on the front from the FEL. I bought an IH 574 once and one wheel was like that. I figured it was like that for a while and was alright. Scared the s#!* out of me one day when it snapped off while lifting some dirt.

/ Negative wheel camber
Well I have looked closely at the axle, I think it may have been installed upside down. The hump in the centre of the axle created by the bushing is toward the top on mine, axle slopes slightly downward from centre. Most of the pics I look at online have the hump created by the bushing toward the bottom. If I flip the axle, the axle would then slope slightly upward, which, would in turn change the angle of the knees, and the camber of the wheels,,,,,,I HOPE,,,,hahaha. Now I need to figure out how to turn the axle around.

Does any of that make sense?

Thanks for the help,