Stuck backhoe pins

/ Stuck backhoe pins #1  

Scott037

Tractor
Kubota B21
Hi all, I definitely could use some help.

I've been pounding on the pins that hold the pivot arms to my stick and backhoe linkage all day without budging them. (Kubota B21 with BT751 backhoe). I've tried heat without success, penetrating oil also. This is my first attempt at pin removal. Am I doing something wrong, or are these pins just that hard to get out?

Appreciate any and all help!

/ Stuck backhoe pins #2  
I don't know where it is at, but somewhere here, there is a thread about this problem. Best that I can remember, they cut the pins with a thin saw. Some had replaced the pins with non-hardened pins, which caused the problem.

/ Stuck backhoe pins #3  
If the pins wear you end up with what looks like 3 offset cylinders stacked up.
See attachment

When trying to drive the pin out, the part supported by the middle will move into the worn area and prevent the pin from coming out.

Attachments

• 428631-worn pin.JPG
    428631-worn pin.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,484
   / Stuck backhoe pins #4  
Hi
I just removed and replaced the pin on the dipperstick for a 758B backhoe.
We used a torch and heated the boom and using a pipe wrench ( 36 inch with a cheater bar to rotate the pin) and a large sledge to pound the pin. we were lucky the pin had moved out about 2 inches enabling us to get the wrench onto it. It took us about 3 hours to remove the pin. We had thoughts of renting a magnetic base drill and drilling it out. I think we were lucky the pin had move out about 2 inches before freezing up
It looked like the person we bought it from failed to grease the pin it was dry and rusted no grease past the grease fitting.
It was tight enough it sheared both the keeper pins that keep the pin in place.
To rotate the pin with the pipe wrench and cheater bar we would place the end of the bar on the ground and use the hoe hydraulics to lower the boom for leverage.
we used enough force we ended up bending the pipe wrench handle about 20 degrees.
You need at least on person to help you, my son n law helped me and there were times another pair of hands would have been helpful
I now wish I had made some pics along the way.

Charlie.

/ Stuck backhoe pins #5  
A little late now but letting a some PB blaster, etc.. soaking on the pin may have helped quite a bit. Might have saved the pipe wrench, don't know just a thought.

/ Stuck backhoe pins #6  
Hi
I need to buy some PB blaster I keep hearing how good it is I did use liqued wrench on it for about a week but I don't think it did any good the pin was totally dry when we got it out. I think the heat done the job. The wrench lives on for another tough job it was made in the USA. back when tools were made to last from good steel and before Harbor Freight.

Charlie

/ Stuck backhoe pins #7  
Sorry, yeah, regular old rust can hold a pin in too!

/ Stuck backhoe pins #8  
I have been using PB Blaster for a few years now, and while it works well, it isn't the end to all problems. There are some things that it just can't break loose. I had a problem with a rusted shaft in a snow blower auger and put it into a press to break it loose. At 50 ton, we gave up and said it will never come apart. A couple of seconds after that, there was a loud sound that sounded like the crack of lightning. It was the shaft finally giving in. After that, it moved slowly, but it did come out. Used PB Blaster on that unit, but it was the press that finally made it move. Sometimes, it just takes some more persuasion than that which comes in a can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif