J 140 H3 Blow By Blue smoke

/ J 140 H3 Blow By Blue smoke #1  

fluidpp

Tractor
SAME Centauro, Universal 650DT Super
Hi All, I think my wife killed our little JD 140 H3. Half hr into cutting grass it started blowing a ton of blue smoke, not all out the muffler either. Still fires up, sounds like low compression. Wont rev no power at all.

Any Ideas ???

Im thinkin broken piston rings or a buggered valve....??

Last edited:
   / J 140 H3 Blow By Blue smoke
Hi All,
I took the motor out today. pretty simple. Had the motor hanging to drain the oil. Pulled the oil plug and a bunch of steel fragments came out with the oil. Carried on with teardown. Pulled the head, piston and valves looked ok,( For a 40 year old tractor). Pulled the oil pan and a bunch of gear fragments came out and sitting in the bottom of the pan. Ok, upon further tear down and looking, it seems that a "Idler" gear blew apart. There seems to be a couple gears that just spin around. They are kinda HALF gears, .. the only thing I can assume they are for is OIL displacement. ?? Please correct me if im wrong.
The rest of the motor seems ok, except the CON rod, took a beating from all the steel flyin around in there.
Needs to be boered at least 0.020. new piston and rod,
find out about those gears and where to get new ones????,
Thanks in advance

/ J 140 H3 Blow By Blue smoke #3  
Those are the balance gears and there are a few used ones on Ebay,and lots of rebuild kits for your K321 on there too, but don't know if anyone ships to Canada?

/ J 140 H3 Blow By Blue smoke #4  
Those balance gears have caused problems for Kohler owners over the years. Some just leave them out after a rebuild. The smaller 12hp engine seems to do the best without them. Your choice about reinstalling them. I personally would re-power the JD140 with the Vanguard 16hp vertical twin. Lighter engine, power pulse on every crankshaft revolution. Jim's Engine I think has a complete re-power kit specifically for the JD140. It;s also lighter, so steering would be better. Your choice of course.