3 Point LIft Arms Bent

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #1  

jay_ch28

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Hey guys,
I was working with my box blade and one of the scarifiers got caught on a root. Generally I just lift the box and continue one, however this time when I tried to lift the I bent the lower right lift arm and I think the pin where the arm attaches.

I'm not sure how to remove the pin, any idea? I have another pin on order. At this point I do not have the arm ordered. I'm hoping to heat it up and bend it back straight. If I do this, what is the likely hood of it bending again? I'm definately going to be much more carefull with this in the future. I'm new to this tractor with only about 30 hours in the operators chair.

This machine is mostly used for finish mowing our HUGE yard (72" Befco) and for grading my motocross track (72" Box Blade). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #2  
This may be of interest to you from spencer200 via jinman via me:

This info from SPENCER200:
( If you are still under warranty New Holland should replace your bent arms. They are aware that the original steel in these was too soft and replaced them. Have your dealer refer to asist bulletin Rq8908 Class 3 boomers Serial number g508677 and up came with the improved arms. If you do have the improved arm New Holland will still replace if under warranty. Standard Warranty applies to this problem)

I just had these replaced last month. I was using an 2bottom plow. I have gray running gear/chassis, which indicates the older gear and my s/n was below the range indicated above. I did the labor myself, so you may want to do this.

Mark

Mark

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent
That's great, however I'm not under warrany anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just called the local dealer about it and I'm waiting for a call back from them.

What is my best option? Rebend the one I have or purchase the upgraded arms? I'm somewhat limited on cash right now, but if I should get them I will. I don't want to have to deal with this again later.

Any idea what the cost of 2 of these arms?

Thanks
Jay

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #4  
If they aren't under warranty.. try this... heat it and bend it straight again.. and weld a small flat on the bottom of it as a stiffener..

Any piece from your scrap pile should work. If it bends again.. you aren't out any money.

Could even heat it and bend it with no stiffener.. but bet on repairing it down the road at some point.

Soundguy

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #5  
<font color="blue"> I'm not sure how to remove the pin, any idea? </font>

I have no clue how to remove it. But, one of the service guys at your dealership should be able to tell you over the phone. The parts manual may show how it's connected, the service manual may describe how to replace the pin, and the new pin itself may give a hint once you get a chance to look at it.

OkieG

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent
Is there any other information on that assist Bulletin. Perhaps part number or anything? My dealer can't find it in his system. My machine was produced before this new steel was standard.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #7  
I didnt even get any paperwork - my dealer took care of it. It took her a while to figure it out, though. You may want to PM spencer200 and see if he can help you.
Mark

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #8  
Jay, I can't imagine your dealer having trouble looking up the ASIST bulletin number (notice the spelling of ASIST, its an acronym). It's a system my dealer's service manager pulled right up on the same computer he uses at the dealership.

As far as the pin goes, it's a standard 5/8" pin that you can buy at Tractor Supply or almost any tractor dealer. Certainly your local NH dealer should have those for sale with his general merchandise unless he is a very small dealer. If you order it as a replacement part, you will probably pay four prices for it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif To get it out, it's hard to hit directly with a hammer because of the stabilizer, but if you take the adjustable arm loose at the top, you can lean it over and get a better view to whack it. Taking the adjustable length mechanism apart on the end of the arm is much more difficult. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Here's a link to my bent arm

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If they aren't under warranty.. try this... heat it and bend it straight again.. and weld a small flat on the bottom of it as a stiffener..

Any piece from your scrap pile should work. If it bends again.. you aren't out any money.

Could even heat it and bend it with no stiffener.. but bet on repairing it down the road at some point.

Soundguy )</font>

This is what to do with the old ones. Steel that bends & you heat & bend back - is much weaker than the first time. If it bent already, and now it's weaker yet.....

You would be making 1/2 of an I beam - an upside down T beam. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ 3 Point LIft Arms Bent #10  
Find someone with a press, possibly your dealer, and have the arm bent back without heating. Shouldn't cost much and the arm won't be weakened by much. As for stiffening/reinforcing the arm, I wouldn't do it. I would rather straighten a bent arm than have something break on the tractor. This was the response from my NH dealer when I suggested it to him, and I think it was good advice.