Third time my tractor nearly killed me

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #1  

Jkline

I have a 2004 JD 4120 with 300 hours on it. Original owner. My ground is very steep, where you can only go up/down. I was brushhogging my field and I just started going down the crest of my hill and my transmission popped out of 'B' gear into neutral-- I was in 2wd. Even with the rear wheels locked up, the tractor picked up speed and was going over 20mph by the time I reached the bottom of the hill. How I didn't flip... no idea.

Anyway, this has happened two other times over the last 13 years resulting in real pants-filling experiences. I forgot my rule: always gear 'A' and 4wd, as it has never happened.

I really need to get this fixed, if there is something to fixed, as I dare not let my kids use it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #2  
You have been lucky;get it fixed and follow your own advise.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #3  
Very scary situation. Take it to the dealer and see what they say.
Don't want to read about you in the obituaries!

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #4  
Glad you rode it out without serious injury ... or worse. I would suggest sparing no time or cost to get that fixed.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #5  
If you reached 20 mph with the bakes locked, possibly that is a hill that does not need to be mowed.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #6  
I mow on hillsides quite a bit. After sliding about 150 feet down the hill on clover in July last year, I only mow in 4wd now. Popping out of gear is unacceptable in these situations, better fix it before it's too late.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #7  
The third time? I'd opt for different equipment, or leave it to mother nature.

Sooner or later, bad stuff will catch up to you. A roll over is not something to be taken lightly. You hit a dip at 20mph with that speed and weight, you can easily roll over. Rear wheels leave contact with the ground, no brakes for you.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #8  
image.jpeg

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #9  
I know that everyone's circumstances are different, but I for one am a believer in only taking my tractors out of 4x4 when need be, such as on a paved road. Other than that I leave my machines in 4x4 mode. I would rather accept the minimal addition wear and tear than be caught in 2wd with a problem. I would bet that my 75hp tractor hasn't been out of 4x4 mode 10 times in the last 12 years.

/ Third time my tractor nearly killed me #10  
Dang,glad your still w/us.
As other said get it fix,what type tire thread?