How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing?

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I finally got the PTO shaft off my 3pt trencher. Rebuilt the clutch & have a new PTO shaft to attach to the clutch & cut down to size.

Not wanting to heat the clutch , beat on it with a sledgehammer hammer while pulling it around with the tractor to pull it off again. It's a non-standard keyed shaft rather than the standard 6 splined or sheer pin setup.

Any suggestions on what to do to prevent it from siezing up again? Obviously cleaning up & deburring both surfaces. Planning on coating the shaft & socket with something.

Debating between:
Silver anti-sieze compound
Fluid Film
Molly grease

Any thoughts or suggestions?

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing? #3  
Nickel or copper-based anti-sieze.

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing?
Thanks. Pretty sure the silver goop is copper based. White bottle with a brush, want to say Permatex. Will check.

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing? #5  
I don't like to put "sticky stuff" on pto shafts, it's just a dirt collector and that makes them wear out faster.

EVERY time I put a pto powered tool on my tractor, I spray the shaft with wd40 or similar product on the shaft and wipe it off to clean it. Then I spray it again to make it slide together easier. I also spray the pto and locking coupler.

IF it stays on the tractor and get used, it's moving all the time and won't get stuck. IF it sits, I pull the shaft off to keep it from sticking.

SR

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing? #7  
I don't like to put "sticky stuff" on pto shafts, it's just a dirt collector and that makes them wear out faster.

EVERY time I put a pto powered tool on my tractor, I spray the shaft with wd40 or similar product on the shaft and wipe it off to clean it. Then I spray it again to make it slide together easier. I also spray the pto and locking coupler.

IF it stays on the tractor and get used, it's moving all the time and won't get stuck. IF it sits, I pull the shaft off to keep it from sticking.

SR

I have repaired more shafts that have been totalled due to not greasing the sliding section of the shafts than i have due to ground down by dust you need something heavier that WD as you need to remember that shaft is usually under load as it slides in/out with the machine running

Jon

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing?
I have repaired more shafts that have been totalled due to not greasing the sliding section of the shafts than i have due to ground down by dust you need something heavier that WD as you need to remember that shaft is usually under load as it slides in/out with the machine running

Jon
I always grease the U-joint zerks & where the 2 half shafts overlap. This question is about where the clutch on the PTO shaft couples to the input shaft stub on the trencher.

/ How to prevent PTO shaft from siezing? #10  

Jon
I don't know what kind of repairs you are talking about, but on our farm we have NOT had a problem running the shafts just the way I described... I have shafts that are many years old, that are run regular, and they are still fine.

I DO keep the U-joints greased and I like synthetic grease for that purpose... Again, we have NOT had U-joint problems either...

SR