John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #1  

Nigelr

Tractor
John Deere 3235c
Hi everyone, my John Deere 3235c is stuck at the bottom of my field if anyone can help I'd be really grateful! It's an ex golf course mower with hydro drive. I went through all the fuel tank and filters over the winter and it's been running like a watch. Then today manoeuvring quickly between forward and reverse, with a bit of a jerk, the engine stopped suddenly, instantly and completely.

It turns over so it's not a seat switch, but does not fire at all, even a hint.

The amber heater light on the panel comes on steadily as normal. The electric fuel pump ticks though maybe faster than usual I'm not sure, you can hear it in the video, which also shows a red flashing light in the middle of the engine control module. Does anyone know what the flashing light means? It's a steady flash, not a pattern. Or any other ideas?

Last edited:
   / John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #2  
The central flashing light is known as the 'Heartbeat' light. It tells you the module is operating correctly.

Look down the "Inputs" side to see which Inputs/switches are active. This determines the conditions necessary to get the "Engine Crank" Output light to show.

In your case it looks to me like you have "Hood Open" and "Brake Not Depressed" both of which will prevent the engine cranking.

(At least I think "Hood Open" probably does since we don't have that Hood Switch on the 3235C's exported down here.)

:wrench:

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped
Thanks Spanner. It does crank (turn over), I probably had the hood loose as I took the video. It's a help to know that's just the heartbeat.

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #4  
You're welcome Nige.
It always bothers me a bit that the lights don't quite line up with the label sticker. On some it can be a 50:50 guess as to which light is glowing and I have have had to count LED's down from the top to be sure.

Edit: I just realised. It does turn over! Does it still not fire?

You have cleaned the pick-up filter at the end of the fuel line in the fuel tank?

If so the cause is most probably the Fuel Injection Pump Solenoid not allowing fuel into the Injection Pump.
Part #M806808

There is an O-Ring which number I'll get for you shortly. It's not shown in the Parts Catalogue pic.

Edit #2: O-Ring - RG60092

You can test the Pull & Hold coils on this solenoid to verify its failure or not. Locate/Test the relay which controls the Pull circuit. Relay less expensive than a Solenoid.

Go the Lions on Sat! (I spent some years in UK)

:wrench:

Last edited:
Yes Spanner it turns over normally, but no hint of firing at all. It went suddenly and totally!

Yes over the winter I had the fuel pickup out, cleaned the gauze and vacuumed the tank. New filters.

The fuel injection pump solenoid sounds like a candidate. I wonder if it's a connector? Is it easy to spot? The stoppage coincided exactly with a jerk as I went from reverse to forwards.

Lions :)

Thanks

Okay I'll track down the relay in the morning. Is it socketed? Perhaps I'll get lucky!! Thanks so much! :)

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #7  
Solenoid located at rear end of FIP.
As I said this pic does not show the O-Ring which sits on the 'nose end' against the mounting flange. Sometimes the o-ring sticks in the pump when the solenoid is withdrawn so look for it if you need to.

Fuel Injection Pump 0001982920____________A1.gif

3 wires to connector (#8 in above pic). Red, White & Black.
Blk is Earth. White is Pull I think. & Red is Hold. (Could be other way round. I'm old).

Disconnect the connector plug and use a simple trouble light to verify power at the Pull terminal from the loom when you crank the engine.

You will have to by-pass your Hood Switch to work on the engine for this.

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #8  
So diagnostically start at the FIP connector. If power exists go forward to the solenoid itself.

If no power when you crank engine go back towards the relay. It has a waterproof connection.

Use the black wire in the loom as the Earth for your power test if poss.

You can apply a 12V jumper wire to the White terminal on the Solenoid connection and earth the Black one and the solenoid should Pull in.

I'm taking you in this direction because your engine cranks. If it cranks a diesel just needs fuel to fire. and the only thing stopping fuel flow is the solenoid.

PS> A simple test is to see if, when you crank the engine, look for 'whitish' smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. No smoke - No fuel.

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #9  
Just throwing a thought in here and i may be completely wrong but when i worked at the jd dealership i had one come in(dont remember the model) but it did have a 3 cylinder yanmar and i remember we took the old solenoid out and it would crank and run and you could put the solenoid back in and it would cut it off. Thos may not be the fact here but just a thought

/ John Deere Yanmar diesel engine just stopped #10  
Luke describes a failed solenoid there. The solenoid is an electrical means of moving the rack in the FIP.

The solenoid always fails 'safe' ie. Closed to stop the engine.