MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust #1  

OzTinkerer

Tractor
MF35, Ferguson TE-D20, Chamberlain C670, MF300 Crawler
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1960 vintage MF35 Deluxe with the Perkins 3A-152 diesel. I have a couple of other machines with later Perkins diesel engines (MF-300 crawler/Perkins 4-248 & Chamberlain C670/Perkins 6-306) that are still in excellent condition. I realize the MF35/3A-152 over a decade older but I'm concerned by the amount of oil in the exhaust system.

The exhaust outlet is wet with oil and oil dribbles from the elbow to muffler joint (and the bottom of the elbow when I remove the small threaded plug). However the exhaust is not blowing excessive blue oil smoke. I've run it only for short periods so far (around ten minutes) but the exhaust seems only to have a faint blue haze, with a healthy black puff when throttling up. The engine starts readily and runs smoothly (and the 3 cylinder has a great exhaust note!)

There are signs the head gasket may have been replaced recently. Is it possible an error was made in fitting the new head gasket and replacing the head that could allow engine oil to leak directly into the exhaust manifold without being burned in the cylinders?

(Since writing the above, I've run the tractor for longer periods, including about half an hour cutting moderate grass with a 4′ 6″ slasher. It maintained oil pressure of over 50 psi during this run and, again, was not making much blue oil smoke, but was still wetting the exhaust with quite a lot of black oil. Any clues, anyone?)

I'd much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Best regards,
Ian,
Australia

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust #2  
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 1960 vintage MF35 Deluxe with the Perkins 3A-152 diesel. I have a couple of other machines with later Perkins diesel engines (MF-300 crawler/Perkins 4-248 & Chamberlain C670/Perkins 6-306) that are still in excellent condition. I realize the MF35/3A-152 over a decade older but I'm concerned by the amount of oil in the exhaust system.

The exhaust outlet is wet with oil and oil dribbles from the elbow to muffler joint (and the bottom of the elbow when I remove the small threaded plug). However the exhaust is not blowing excessive blue oil smoke. I've run it only for short periods so far (around ten minutes) but the exhaust seems only to have a faint blue haze, with a healthy black puff when throttling up. The engine starts readily and runs smoothly (and the 3 cylinder has a great exhaust note!)

There are signs the head gasket may have been replaced recently. Is it possible an error was made in fitting the new head gasket and replacing the head that could allow engine oil to leak directly into the exhaust manifold without being burned in the cylinders?

(Since writing the above, I've run the tractor for longer periods, including about half an hour cutting moderate grass with a 4′ 6″ slasher. It maintained oil pressure of over 50 psi during this run and, again, was not making much blue oil smoke, but was still wetting the exhaust with quite a lot of black oil. Any clues, anyone?)

I'd much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Best regards,
Ian,
Australia

Over here we call it "diesel slobbers". Its unburned fuel residue and usually results from prolonged low power operation.Lack of a thermostat in the cooling system or a thermostat that opens prematurely could be a contributing factor. Check the thermostat and if that's OK, work the snot out of the tractor and it will clear up.

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust #3  
Do what Jerry said.. OR..
I did one today, pump & injectors that came in for no start due to contaminated Bio fuel..
Gotter all freshened up, drained the tank, new filters, set the pump timing at 0* & she smoked so bad I had to shut it down..
I pulled the valve cover to check the valves & the exhaust valves were so far out it wasn't funny..
Reset all the valves & advanced the timing 2* & she started w/ a flick of the key & no smoke..
The moral of the story is> check the valve setting.. check your fuel quality.. the inj. pump timing.. & don't forget the AIR & FUEL filter..

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust
Hi Jerry and Pump Guy,

Wow. Very impressed at getting two great, helpful replies so soon!

I've cleaned the tank and sediment bowl and I have a set of new fuel filters to go in. Have also cleaned out and refilled the oil bath air filter and the air inlet pipe. Next job is to flush out the cooling system and fit new hoses, so I'll check the thermostat while it's apart. And while the tank is off I'll check the valve clearances and the pump timing. Might pull the injectors and get them tested while I'm at it.

THEN, when it's all back together, I'll attack some long thick grass with the slasher (4' 6" rotary mower on the PTO - do you call them Bush Hogs?) and load it up for a few hours...

Many thanks for your advice, guys.

Ian

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust #5  
Just remember.. when changing the fuel filter, the oring goes UP IN the filter head, NOT ON the filter..

/ MF35/3A-152 Perkins - oil in exhaust #6  
G'day Ian as the others have said get her hot and make her work get her choofin out some soot if it starts easy then the timing and injectors will be ok they are a great little engine the 3 cyls and properly serviced will give you years of service.

Jon

Thanks again, Pumpie. Yes, I'm familiar with both the CAV/Delphi 296 and the older cartridge type filters on older tractors like a Fordson "New' Major Diesel and the MF35.

Thanks for your advice, Jon. Nice Charger - E37?