Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #1  

WhiteFox01

Tractor
1965 IH 424 1953 Ford Golden Jublee NAA
I have a service manual, but it does not go into detail on much.

Does anyone have experiences with working on these brakes? Does anyone have the service manual, and would you be willing to copy the pages for rebuilding the brakes in the IH424, it would be a great help to me. I have already adjusted the brakes as far as I can and still have to stand on the brakes to stop it.

I would of course cover whatever costs associated with copying and mailing the materials, or they could scan the pages to a file and email it to me as several files. Jpeg or PDF files would be fine.:dance1:

Last edited:
   / Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #2  
remove cover and remove brakediscs. Take it to a clutck and brake recon senter. If there is oil on discs seals also needs replacing

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #3  
I have a service manual, but it does not go into detail on much. Does anyone have the service manual, and would you be willing to copy the pages for rebuilding the brakes in the IH424,

What service manual do you have? I have an IH-201 manual that has a couple of pages on the brakes of those tractors and could scan the pages for you.

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #4  
the brakes on those much the same as many of the older tractors are difficult to keep up with!! Take them back apart and you did not say that you replaced the brake disc's but rough them up a lot Yes a lot as they will get glazed over easy enough. If you could roughen up the barke surface on the drum and on the tractor do it! I cut little grooves about every inch and a half to keep the disc from glazing down.

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #5  
They are pretty simple, once you remove the adjusting rod, and bolts holding the cover on. You may as well clean the actuating plates, where the steel balls ride in the grooves. Simply remove the 2 springs holding the halves together. I clean the surfaces with a small air die grinder with the Roloc gasket removal discs.

Although the manual says NOT to lube the steel balls & grooves, after 40 some years of dealing with them, we've found that putting a very light coating of never seize on the steel balls, makes them work smoother, and not "grab" after a year or so. Around here, they need to be taken apart every 2-3 years , after going through the Spring sweat, and rusting surfaces on the actuating plates, and internals.

Here is an exploded view of the brake assy. from the Case/IH online parts book, to give you an idea what you will be dealing with. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424
remove cover and remove brakediscs. Take it to a clutck and brake recon senter. If there is oil on discs seals also needs replacing

Thankyou very much. I should be able to handle that.

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #7  
Remember to clean the throu hole in the inner face so that oil can leak out and not on the linings( work a wire from the bottom and then blow some air throu that hole)

/ Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #8  

What is a "clutck and brake recon senter"? There is nothing like that in my area, and I'm Not picking on the spelling. I know what you mean.

There is nothing such as a "brake and clutch reconditioning center" in Vermont!,

Last edited:
   / Rebuilding the brakes in a 1965 IH 424 #9  
springs holding the actuatorplates together has a round hook or a sqere hook...get the right ones !