10' rotary cutter blade problem...

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #1  

cutworm

Tractor
JD 3010
I'm new to the forum. I have a 10' Agrevere rotary cutter that I bought used about a month ago. I think it's made by Howse. I pull it with my JD 3010 diesel. It has two stump jumpers with two swing blades each. My problem is that the blades are hitting the other stump jumper blades. Pretty sure that's why they sold it. The blades are so beat up that I ordered new blades and they are the same length so I don't see how the new blades will not produce the same problem. Anyone else ever had this issue? Looks like they overlap about 4". Are they suppose to overlap at all? Any suggestions & feedback is appreciated.

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #2  
Typically one blade spindle is offset forward of the the other. Otherwise, with belt drive, there is no way to avoid clash.

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem...
This is a gearbox driven rotary cutter. One gearbox in the center feeding one on each side of it. The stump jumper has a swing blade opposite of each other. My problem is that they hit the swing blades on the other stump jumper.

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #4  
They aren't timed properly.

They should be 90 degrees apart. IE, if you stand the cutter up vertically, one stump jumper should have the blade bolts holes horizontal, the other vertical.

Typically timing is done by taking apart one of the secondary shafts, have someone hold the blades 90 degrees out of sync from each other as I described, then re assemble to the nearest spline that matches

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #5  
They aren't timed properly.

They should be 90 degrees apart. IE, if you stand the cutter up vertically, one stump jumper should have the blade bolts holes horizontal, the other vertical.

Typically timing is done by taking apart one of the secondary shafts, have someone hold the blades 90 degrees out of sync from each other as I described, then re assemble to the nearest spline that matches

he hit the nail square on the head . I would hope that you got a really good deal on it and when properly timed and new blades you will be smiling like a Cheshire cat.

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #6  
Correct. Incorrect timing - If you see what we mean? :laughing:

One pair is set at 12-6 o'clock and the other pair is set at 3-9 o'clock. 90 degrees.
Anything else will create a vibration.

:wrench:

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #7  
he hit the nail square on the head . I would hope that you got a really good deal on it and when properly timed and new blades you will be smiling like a Cheshire cat.

Ah, I assumed belt drive, not any timed drive system. In which case, I must say, the answer was all too obvious ...

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #8  
A friend bought a new 10'er and when the dealer assembled it they did not "TIME" it properly.
He was experienced/smart enough to see the problem and correct it before using it.

/ 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #9  
Ok, don't want to argue with anyone, just have an observation...
IF...and I do mean IF...
The stump jumpers on this particular brush hog are round and not oblong, and the blades are hitting the other stump jumper, then I believe he could have a larger problem other than timing of the blades.
Now if the blades are mounted on oblong shaped stump jumpers, then it is just a timing issue.
Am I correct in assuming this???
Now if he had said that the blades were hitting the blades on the other stump jumper, I could see it definitely to be just a timing issue.
David from jax

My gut feeling is that it is a timing issue, I was just wondering if anyone else wondered about blade hitting the other stump jumper. Seems like that might be another thing altogether, just don't know what.

Last edited:
   / 10' rotary cutter blade problem... #10  
One more hat in the ring. Pull a gearbox, rotate the blades to 90 and stick the shaft back in the box...lock her down.