HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ???

/ HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ??? #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I would like to remove the steering wheel from my Ford 1920.
I DO NOT want to damage the wheel, as I will be reinstalling it.
My reason for removal is that it will save me $175 in ferry costs, by keeping my overall height for transport to just under 7'.
I will also remove the muffler, and the seat, but those are very easy.
The steering wheel is made of some type of plastic material, and I am certain that pulling on it with a gear puller will destroy it from beneath.
I assume that there is a molded in steel spline that has rusted to the shaft over 29 years.
I currently have the nut cavity area filled with PB blaster, and have tried some force with the puller, while also tapping on the top of the puller as well.
I need to loose two inches of overall height, and removing the steering wheel would do about 3".
My other option would be to let enough air out of the tires to drop the height 2".
The tires would be rather flat at that point, but I think it would work.
I prefer the steering wheel removal option, but I do not want to break the steering wheel, and then have to buy a new one.
Any ideas?

/ HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ??? #2  
Borrow a steering wheel puller?

/ HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ??? #3  
Put the puller back on. Put block of wood under steering wheel as near the center as you can. Rap with hammer with increasing levels of force. I used a 2x4 on end.

/ HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ???
Borrow a steering wheel puller?

A steering wheel puller will not work on this tractor.
I made a 3 piece steel collar to fit around the steering column, and will try using a gear puller.

/ HOW TO REMOVE FORD 1920 STEEERING WHEEL ???
A steering wheel puller will not work on this tractor.
I made a 3 piece steel collar to fit around the steering column, and will try using a gear puller.

Well ...... I got it done!
Used the three piece collar (made from 1-1/2" thick wall pipe), clamped that around steering wheel column with a 3" hose clamp.
Got my 6" gear puller, and tightened down, watching underside of wheel for distortion of the plastic hub.
Center of steering wheel is an inside splined piece of steel molded into the plastic steering wheel hub.
Hub nut cavity would hold liquid, so I filled with PB Blaster, and let sit for 2 days. NOTHING HAPPENED!
Friend told me to use "Kroil" if I could find it. I actually had a full gallon of "Kroil" that I bought 20+ years ago.
Swabbed out the PB Blaster, and added Kroil to the hub nut cavity.
24 hours passed.....nothing! Kroil still just sitting there.
Next day checked to find Kroil GONE!
Added more Kroil......gone in 5 minutes.
Took two more gentle turns on the puller, and the wheel popped loose!
I had used Kroil before, but had forgotten how amazingly effective it really is!
Spline is now GENEROUSLY coated with Anti-Seize.