John Deere X 300 parts help!!!

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #1  

chazdo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
walk behing power drive 21
My X 300 will run and start good. Other times it wont start at all and sometimes just quits while running. I have found out it is spark that goes. I cant seem to find a parts list or diagram to purchase the control unit under the dash or that small module thats mounted in the side of the engine that kills the other John Deere lawn tractor motors. Any help appreciated and tell me if I'm on the wrong track.

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #2  
AM141075 is a common ECU number. It is Deere only part so bring them your full serial number and confirm. Your serial is located inconveniently on the frame rail above RF tire. Your engine will not have an external igniter module on the side of the engine. To take care of your new ECU if you replace it, don't be the guy that leaves his battery cables loose or jump starts it improperly.

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #3  
Tom is correct on the ecu....but with the new # of am141075 it will work on all s/n ranges of the model x300 due to superseding of parts.

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!!
I watched a video and the guy said if you disconnect the black wire near the voltage regulator the mower will start and that shows it is the ecu unit thats bad. Mine will not start with this wire disconnected. Am I getting bad info? Do you guys think its the ecu? Dont wanna be wrong at 70 bucks a pop! Coil and plugs are gapped right. Plugs are new

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #5  
What disconnecting that kill wire does is takes everything but the coils and the lead wire out of the equation. There is a strong likely hood that it is the ECU, though think of things that could also shut the machine down as well. There are test procedures in the manual which is long and drawn out for what it is.

thank you!

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #7  
Be sure and report back and let us know how you do!

Put the module in started right up. Mowed most of the lawn. Stopped left it running got back on started mowing and it quit, Wont start again. Any ideas?

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #9  
Out of gas?

What have you checked? Seriously, check and confirm you have petrol in the tank.
You won't be the first.

Presume the engine is cranking and not firing? Or is it not even cranking??

The new module is pretty reliable. But there's a first time for everything. It may have failed... Have you checked the spark?

I always replace the spark-plugs when replacing the module. Spark-plugs are often adversly affected by misfiring and weak spark as determined by a failing module.

/ John Deere X 300 parts help!!! #10  
As stated, clearly confirm if was cranking over and if the engine had spark. How are you testing for spark BTW?