PTO on John Deere 4115

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #1  

katomike507

Tractor
John Deere 4115
Ran home over the lunch hour to do some mowing with my 2003 John Deere 4115 (72" deck). I just bought the tractor last week.

As I was mowing, there was a lound mechanical type sound as if something was scraping the underside of the deck. I shut the mower and tractor off and checked to make sure I hadn't run anything over - I hadn't. I started the tractor back up and started the mower and it made the same noise. I stopped the mower and tractor again. I started the tractor up but when I pulled on the PTO to try the mower nothing happened (the PTO light came on, but the PTO did not).

I drove the tractor up to the building and took the PTO shaft off the tractor (the one from the mmm) and checked the mower - it is free/I can move the blades. I checked the mid and rear PTO neither is spinning.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #2  
I have a 4310 and neither PTO on mine will spin freely when the tractor is on or off so I don't believe that issue is anything out of the ordinary for your tractor. Have you tried to engage the PTO on the tractor with the deck disconnected and is it still making the scraping sound?

/ PTO on John Deere 4115
I haven't tried to spin the PTO by hand. When I turn on the PTO the light lights up but the PTO shaft does not spin, no noise, no nothing.

I can spin the mower (I disconnected it from the tractor).

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #4  
Does the rear PTO engage individually?

The mid-PTO will only engage if you engage the mid PTO first and then the rear PTO. If you engage the rear first and then try the mid a safety override will prevent it from engaging.

Just out of curiosity did you get an operators manual with the tractor? It specifies the procedure for mid-pto engagement. If not deere has the manual online.

/ PTO on John Deere 4115
The rear will not engage individually. When this happened I had it set to the mid-PTO only.

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #6  
I have a PDF of the tech manual your welcome to, shoot me your email if wanted
Joe

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #7  
Ran home over the lunch hour to do some mowing with my 2003 John Deere 4115 (72" deck). I just bought the tractor last week.

As I was mowing, there was a lound mechanical type sound as if something was scraping the underside of the deck. I shut the mower and tractor off and checked to make sure I hadn't run anything over - I hadn't. I started the tractor back up and started the mower and it made the same noise. I stopped the mower and tractor again. I started the tractor up but when I pulled on the PTO to try the mower nothing happened (the PTO light came on, but the PTO did not).

I drove the tractor up to the building and took the PTO shaft off the tractor (the one from the mmm) and checked the mower - it is free/I can move the blades. I checked the mid and rear PTO neither is spinning.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

While you were checking who was sitting in the seat?...Because the mid-PTO requires a body in the seat to operate...:)

/ PTO on John Deere 4115
I put one of the forks from my pallet forks in the seat...

/ PTO on John Deere 4115 #9  
I put one of the forks from my pallet forks in the seat...

...:)

Just make sure all your wiring is intact...:)

Testing Mid-PTO/Seat Switch Interface
1. Sit on operator’s seat.

2. Push the rear and mid-PTO knobs to the disengaged/off position.

3. Move the transmission range and gear shift levers into the N (neutral) position.

4. Start machine engine. Set engine speed at 1500 rpm.

6. Raise up from operator’s seat. Do not dismount machine.

7. Pull the mid-PTO knob to the engaged/on position.

8. Pull the rear PTO knob to the engaged/on position.

9. Engine should begin to stop.

Okay...the next thing to check is the engagement linkage and make sure nothing is out of sorts or missing...:(

/ PTO on John Deere 4115
Thanks! I will try that.

What do you mean by engagement linkage?

Thanks.