/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #1  

elidukes

Tractor
Dixie Chopper XD2500
Dixie Chopper XD2500
Kohler Command 25
model: CV25
spec: 695531

Started our Dixie Chopper to cut turf. It sounded like it was running at low throttle. Tried to drive and it died. Started engine again. Same thing. It seemed maybe only running one cylinder. No power. Engage the deck and died again. Checked spark and both sides are sparking. Ran it with one plug pulled at a time. Pulled one, the engine died. Pulled the other side and engine kept running in same weak fashion.

Shut it down and pulled the cover. Found both rocker arms off the valve springs! Stumped as to what would cause this. Any ideas?

IMG_20170814_155246.jpg

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #2  
I don't know but almost like something happened to the cam. How do the push rods look? Still straight? Bent? Hard to believe the valve adjustment was off that bad.

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #3  
Over-revving? Bent push rods? Lack of maintenance?

The engine is filthy and the oil is dark. May have even been over-heated. Any shrapnel in the sump oil?

What was it running like when you put it away last mow? What's the history of the machine? Hours/years? Last service??

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #4  
The end of that exhaust valve is hammered. A not so wild guess that valve is either tight in the guide or the seat is loose in the head. It tossed the exhaust rod and the intake rod popped of because of it.

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #5  
The end of that exhaust valve is hammered. A not so wild guess that valve is either tight in the guide or the seat is loose in the head. It tossed the exhaust rod and the intake rod popped of because of it.

I second the motion. Stuck valve will bend a push rod, after that, bad things happen. I've seen the valve stem collars go flying when a rocker arm pushed down on the spring retainer, too! That can make a big mess on a 500-cubic-inch engine turning 8500 rpm.

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #6  
I had a customer give me a 2004 Grasshopper with a blown Kohler 22hp.
It got overheated from cooling fins clogged- see pic
When it overheated the exhaust valve stuck open and you can see the damage!!
It cost me $400. for new head and rebuild kit.
With 3100 hours on this engine the crank was PERFECT! and micrometer reading dead on!
So I ended up with an $8000. mower for $400.00 !!
Maybe yours got overheated??

Attachments

• Grasshopper Mower 003.jpg
    Grasshopper Mower 003.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 864
  • Grasshopper Mower 002.jpg
    Grasshopper Mower 002.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 915
   / Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs #7  
I had a customer give me a 2004 Grasshopper with a blown Kohler 22hp.
It got overheated from cooling fins clogged- see pic
When it overheated the exhaust valve stuck open and you can see the damage!!
It cost me $400. for new head and rebuild kit.
With 3100 hours on this engine the crank was PERFECT! and micrometer reading dead on!
So I ended up with an $8000. mower for $400.00 !!
Maybe yours got overheated??

Holy crap! Surprised it made it to 3100 hours.

/ Kohler Command 25 rocker arms off valve springs
Thanks eveyone! I just jumped on to see if I had posted correctly as I hadn't had any notifications that there were replys.

Rods are still straight. The hours are unknown. I am inheriting this machine from the previous facilities manager. Yes, poorly maintained. A bummer because he told me he was proud of the way it was taken care of! I asked the last tech that used it and he said it was fine. Unfortunately, the exiting manager used it after the tech to mow his yard. Service was March, but I am not sure what was done. Plugs were old. Filters are old. Going to check the sump. I didn't do anything to it yet.

This is sounding worse with every post! Rods are still straight so I am hopeful.