Deere w/Yanmar runs for half hour fine.

/ Deere w/Yanmar runs for half hour fine.
I agree with rScotty that leaking diesel return line won't affect how engine runs but will make a smelly mess.

Yeah, that seems to make sense. I guess as Scotty said, fiddling with the cap probably dislodged some kind of air blockage. Good mower and nice little engine, but sometimes hard to troubleshoot. Like the time I racked my brain as to why the mower would not start "occasionally" and found out the parking brake hits the wire going to the oil pressure switch which had a poor connection. Drove me nuts.
Thanks Tx

I think this will be the final diagnosis and update on this thread. The machine began acting up again with the same symptom of quitting after half hour or so. I had a fuel pump and hooked it up bypassing the mechanical pump and ran it with the same problem occurring after half hour. I had been running it with the cap loose so eliminated this as the problem as well. I decided it still had to be something on the tank side of the pump and realized that the hose on the barb fitting coming OUT of the tank had loosened a bit and didn't have a clamp. Obviously, this was an easy place for air to enter. I put a clamp on it and the problem was solved immediately. I guess when I fiddled with it before I must have sealed it a bit by twisting and what not bit it eventually failed again. So, does this sound about right?

/ Deere w/Yanmar runs for half hour fine. #13  
Ok thanks guys. I'll work from the tank forward and check inside tank. I blew on cap and it was venting but not free flowing air. Not sure how freeflowing it's supposed to be. I'll pull cap next time. Haven't checked lines from injection pump yet but will get into the engine compartment after I check the tank and lift Pump.

With hindsight - I think at the point you were here you should have noticed the absence of a clamp on the fuel line fitting perhaps.

All the terminations of fuel hose on the 2653A have a spring-clamp on them for security of sealing.

I'd say you have found your problems cause.

With hindsight - I think at the point you were here you should have noticed the absence of a clamp on the fuel line fitting perhaps.

All the terminations of fuel hose on the 2653A have a spring-clamp on them for security of sealing.

I'd say you have found your problems cause.

I agree, I should have caught that.