Bush Hog SQ720

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #1  

Ghost River Retrievers

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland
I bought a used SQ720 and it's time for new blades ... these are in bad shape. I saw that Tractor Supply has blades available, but don't know about the quality of the product. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with TSC rotary cutter blades?

Also, this will be my first time to take the blades off, so I'm expecting it to be a major hassle.
I'll put the cutter on 4 stacks of concrete blocks for stability.
I'll have the right socket, heavy duty ratchet, and appropriate (i.e., long) cheater bar.
Do I need to get a torque ratchet which goes to 600 lbs?
Is there anything else that I need to have on hand before starting this project?
Also, all suggestions/tips are welcome!

Thanks,
GRR

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #2  
This spring I bought the Bush Hog 7555 blades from TSC for my circa 1985 SQ60. I bought the heavier blade it replaced and they've worked well. I had to heat the bolts up to get the original blades off. I went ahead and bought new bolts assembly from the JD dealer as they were cheaper than TSC, but I think I could've reused the old bolt and nut.

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #3  
Think safety. Will you and your cheater bar be able to pull the mower off the blocks onto yourself?

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #4  
use impact wrench. & block the deck while removing. worth your while, sharpen & true knives esp 2-3" from the outer tip

safety 1st. don't recommend crawling under & grinding. (a topic for safety forum)

like lawn mower blades, there is a certain point where you will want to replace originals (or after market) imho

bolts/washer? just keep an eye on, don't think need to replace as often as the blades best regards

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #5  
I go through blade faster than I can afford; so last time I just welded new edges on, cut from old used blades.

repaired blades.jpg

/ Bush Hog SQ720
Think safety. Will you and your cheater bar be able to pull the mower off the blocks onto yourself?

Thanks for the reminder.
I will be either be on top of the mower or far enough off to the side of the mower when using the cheater bar so no body parts will be at risk ... other than my back from pulling on the cheater bar.

/ Bush Hog SQ720
New project = new tools. This time it was a heavy duty socket set.
If that doesn't do it, I'll guess I'll go buy the suggested impact wrench and a larger air compressor. If I do that, I'll have to find that thread where the guy said that he had to take his mower to the dealer to get the blades off and it cost him almost as much as the whole mower did ... my wife isn't easily convinced.

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #8  
I have that exact same mower, the problem won't be getting the nut off it will be driving the bolt out, do yourself a favor and get a small bottle jack and place close to the bolt where the stumpjumper can't flex as much and when you put a solid lick on the bolt with a brass pin it will come right out, you can beat all day without something under there to keep it from flexing, I'd also get me some lift blades instead of brush blades if you are mowing mostly grass, it will make a tremendous difference in the cut quality. Good luck. Charlie.

/ Bush Hog SQ720
I have that exact same mower, the problem won't be getting the nut off it will be driving the bolt out, do yourself a favor and get a small bottle jack and place close to the bolt where the stumpjumper can't flex as much and when you put a solid lick on the bolt with a brass pin it will come right out, you can beat all day without something under there to keep it from flexing, I'd also get me some lift blades instead of brush blades if you are mowing mostly grass, it will make a tremendous difference in the cut quality. Good luck. Charlie.

Charlie,
Thanks for the tip!
Will do!

/ Bush Hog SQ720 #10  
Replaced my Bush Hog Sq600 factory blades with the 7555 blades, Much heavier duty. Also purchased a makita 3/4 drive cordless impact wrench. This thing has 1250 ft lbs of reverse torque. Maybe a cheaper option than a larger compresser and air impact if needed. A 3 lb hand sledge and a piece of 1" RC62 hardened steel convinced the bolts to back out of the stump jumper.