Charging problem on a ferris

/ Charging problem on a ferris #1  

weavertg14543

Tractor
john Deere gator 6x4 ferris pro cut s 61 inch 67 cub cadet Kubota ls3130
So battery won't charge on my face it's a new battery dead so put it on the charger it holds a charge and will start the lawn mower once maybe twice I bought a multimeter and I test the voltage at the battery and I'm getting like 13.5 - 14.5 volts there so it's giving a charge was not staying charged I don't know what possibly to look at next I've had a previous Ferris mower that did the same thing and it turned out it was like the magnets on the Coyle had been broken or reversed somehow and so it just never charged and it always had problems there's only 340 hours on this machine and I've never had any real issues with it before any help would be great

/ Charging problem on a ferris #2  
So battery won't charge on my face .....
.... I've never had any real issues with it before any help would be great

Any help? Ok:

"Battery won't charge on my Ferris. It's a new battery that is dead so I put it on the charger on it. It holds a charge and will start the lawn mower once or maybe twice.
I bought a multimeter and I tested the voltage at the battery and I'm getting like 13.5 - 14.5 volts there, so it's taking a charge, but was not staying charged. I don't know what possibly to look at next.
I've had a previous Ferris mower that did the same thing and it turned out it was the magnets on the coil(?) (flywheel?). Magneto (?) had been broken or reversed somehow and so it just never charged and it always had problems. There's only 340 hours on this machine and I've never had any real issues with it before. Any help would be great."

It sounds like you have something draining the battery when turned off. You might want to google "how to test battery for a parasitic load or parasitic drain".
One tests you can do is disconnect the positive terminal and place a little light tester between the battery post and connector you disconnected. If it lights, it means you are seeing a current flowing, draining your battery through a path that shouldn't exist when it's turned off.
Step 2, of finding what's doing it is harder. Leaking (key?) switches are likely suspects.

p.s. You can also do the same test your multi-tester.

Last edited:
   / Charging problem on a ferris #3  
Post a photo of your "new" battery in the machine plse.

After charging the battery, disconnect the negative cable and reconnect it just before you go to use it the next time.

It it starts and runs well, then we can talk about what might be draining the battery.

Is this the battery that came with the machine or one that you bought?

What are the spec's for the battery, i.e. CA or cranking amps or cold cranking amps CCA?

Dave M7040