NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives?

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Here's my sob story - bought used chipper for 1/2 what a new one cost. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Flywheel got loose (bolt missing) and chipper knife collided with anvil, breaking in two /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Remaining knife tries to chip pieces of first knife, killing that one as well.

Chipper Manufacturer (WW Grinder) is out of business. I found an outfit in Canada (actually someone here on tbn pointed me there thanks!) but they only have one knife & want $100 for it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One Local machine shop quoted big bucks to make me some. I will persue other local machine shops, but I know that some here have the facilities to make this for me.

I've attached a drawing (pdf). My research indicates that these tend to be made out of AISI A8 tool steel, but it appears that it may be difficult to find. I'd take any tool steel as long as it has similar properties.

If I'm going thru the trouble & expense of having these fabricated, I figure I ought to get a lifetime supply - the chipper is in awsome shape except for the knives.

So anybody want to help out a fellow tbn'r? I'd be looking to have 6-12 of the knives made.

You can PM, or email (in my profile) me.

Thanks!

EDIT HERE - Of course I would pay for them - duh!

Attachments

• 433437-chipper_knife.pdf
    10.3 KB · Views: 366
   / NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #2  
Sounds like something I wouldn't like to happen!

anyhow let me do a litle checking I think a buddy of mine does that sort of thing, we do not work with tool steel as it is a long process and then there needs to be some heat treating too I belive after the first rough size it made otherwise it is still too soft. not 100% on that though.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #4  
Hazmat -- Give Jesada Tools a call or visit their Webpage. They're a good source for jointer and planer knives, but also carry a wide variety of uncut stock. They've helped me a few times with unorthodox blades. Pete

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #5  
how bout some pics and is your camp on long lake??? have u bin up here lately??? would love to see some pics of the chipper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
TODD

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives?
Here's a pic of the chipper

407097-chipper%20small.jpg

Here's a link to some pics of the farm in Harrison. It is my parent's retirement home. It is not on the lake, but up in the hills. I mow the field for them in the summer. In the winter I get to use it as a ski chalet - only 40 min to Sunday River. You can see Shawnee peak from the backyard.

Field Mowing in Maine

Here are some more pics on TBN's sister site (Country By Net (CBN) Scroll down a bit for the pics.

Harrison

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #7  
Now thats what i'm talkin about ...uno..the pic is worth a 1000
words thing...will have to get our maine tbn chapter together!!!
thanx for the pics!!!!
TODD /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #8  
Interesting chipper. Liked it. Sell it to me? How much you ask for it? What do you think about this? If you aren't selling, I'd like to exchange some info with you and I MAY try to send you some knive. I can make 10 pieces at a workshop of a friend for you and make heat treatment with required hardness. 10 knive won't cost more than $500 and $150-200 of this is shipping cost (by Fedex/UPS,etc - I am located far from there - overseas.)

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #9  
TO my dearest mainer!!
jist so u know ...any one that call's himself a nomad and won't even update his portfolios/profile and tell us where he's from is an untrusting sort!! if you are a gold member and can't even do us liddle silva memba's the courtesy and the justice of lettin us in on yer liddle secrets then buyer bware!!!!!

jis my .002$ worth and no that isn't a typo ...i meant it it's not even worth 2/10th's of one 100/th of a cent!!!!!
PERIOD /PARAGRAPH /END ...I MAY B NEW HERE..............BUT I VALUE EVERYONE I CALL A TBN"ER...AND ANYONE THAT'S A GOLD MEMBER OUGHTA B PROUD TO SAY WHERE HE HAIL'S
DAD..GUM FROM!!!!!...and i've seen this once b4...if i'm wrong then i " have a disclaimer".............WAIT A MINUTE .....NO I DO NOT!!! ....SAY WHO U R AND B PROUD OF IT JIST LIKE I'M PROUD 2 SAY I'M A TBNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!rrrrrr!!!!!
RIGHT JUNKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!AND SO THERE IT DADGUMN IS!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!P O L E C A T ...F R O M ...U NO WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ NEED HELP - Anyone want to fab chipper knives? #10  
Now now polecat simmer down. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif As a Gold member with 375 posting Nomad is no stranger. There are no requirements for the profile, however anyone like Nomad with that many post has given us tidbits of himself throughout his post. As a TBNer once said: "Just keep posting we will find out all about you." For example in his first hundred post we learned the following:

<font color="blue">Nomad:
“I have a PhD in mechanical eng. (turbulence in the fluids - experimental & computational) and have another PhD in theoretical science (mathematical physics - point symmetery groups and their applications to reduce dimension of turbulences&chaoses.)”

“I have a hobby web site dedicated to weaving and wooden art. www.halikilimci.com

(about updating your profile) “Why mind? A farmer, a dealer, a manufacturer, a fireman, a painter, an artist, a president,etc etc, anyone can talk here and they don't have to have a tractor to talk about and they don't have to show it in their profile even if they have. According to the traditions on the net forums, the only rule is stay on the topic, join the conversations and do exchanges. If you like to show your tractor, it's fine. If you don't like, again it is fine. Agreement is reached;-)”

“I will buy one from this small planter for my garden (see image). I'll use it with a small garden tractor which I'm thinking to buy it too.”
</font>
Remember, It takes all kinds of people to make the world interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now, let's get back on subject and try to get some knives for Hazmat!