disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ?

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #1  

glalonde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD790
This will be my first 50 hrs maintenance.
Does it make a difference whether or not you disconnect the loader to do a hydraulic oil change ?
Can the old oil in the loader hoses/cylinders affect significantly the performance of the new oil ?

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #2  
Disconnecting the loader would have no effect unless you also removed and drained all the hoses and cylinders...........something I made an Army unit do to a Case loader one time.

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #3  
<font color="blue"> something I made an Army unit do to a Case loader one time. </font>

Just wondering, but how do you know they did it? If it were me when I was in that stage in my life I would have said "Yes Sir!" and that would have been the end of it... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

At this point in my life I would have said something a little different... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But true... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #4  
Guillaume:
The amount of fluid left in the hydraulic circuits can be ignored. The purpose of that first oil change is to flush out the dirt, grit and metal particles left in everything from manufacturing. These will be caught in the sumps and the filters. Just be sure that your machine is clean so that you don't introduce more stuff. Good Luck.

Vernon

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #5  
To me they would have said "Yes Sergeant"

I know they did it because they were unit maintenance. They had to bring the components back to me for exchange after they removed them.

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #6  
This isn't directed at Ozarker per se...but asked in general as something I've wondered about this topic...

I'll give MY idea of how I might try to remove as much fluid as possible outta loader/backhoe lines. It involves more than zero danger, but like all of life, both eyes open & be careful...

What if you fully raised loader or backhoe, turn machine off. Then drain your system. Disconnect the NON load bearing hose off the cylinders. After that is off, go to controls & move such that you then drop the airborn item to ground, pushing the oil out of one side and filling OTHER side with air. When it drifts to ground, you've removed as much fluid as you possibly can, short of disassembling the cylinder.

Change filters, refill, cycle through several times to fill all the nooks & crannies & go dig some holes.

Now...I've never DONE the above, it just strikes me as a way to remove as much fluid as you possibly could and I've always been curious that, other than the obvious danger of removing hoses with buckets in the air /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif is it otherwise "feesible"

I think you could probably do it leaving the hoses ON, but your tank would have to be empty so that you sucked up air instead of residual oil.

OK... that's my thoughts... hit me with the errors of my thinking.

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #7  
Richard,

I think you would want all the cylinders retracted. That way the cylinder rod would be inside displacing some fluid. So minimal old fluid would remain.

Double acting cylinders have fluid inside whether extended or retracted. I've never seen inside one though. I am pretty sure they have slightly different force ratings too, depending on whether pushing or pulling (rod moving out/in).

Edit: After posting this I read your post again...I guess it failed to register the first time what you were proposing...I don't think I would use your procedure but I think it would do what you intend...guess I better put my mind in gear when I put my reading glasses on in the morning... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ?
Thanks for the replies.

This being the first 50 hrs, I think Vernon's explanation makes sense and I should not worry too much about 'oil corruption' coming from the hoses/cylinders of the loader at this time.

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #9  
I'm not sure if it would work or not but I don't see any harm in trying it. Let us know how much additional oil you were able to push out.

/ disconnect loader for hyd. oil change ? #10  
Hydraulics aren't my area of specialty and I could be wrong, but...

Hydraulic cylinders are a dead end path with nowhere for the oil to go so the same oil just gets pushed back and forth. The majority of the oil in this circuit doesn't get circulated through the pump, the exception is the oil in the lines closer to the pump.

I think you stand a chance for a big hassle bleeding air out of the cylinders and lines than any benefit from what little contamination there might be in the cylinders.

Jim