Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working

/ Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working #1  

nofd410

Tractor
1974 Ford 3000
Guys, I bought this little tractor 3rd hand and it does what i need for the most part but the tach has never worked, I had to replaced the tach with a new one anyway because the original came apart , anyway it still does not work, so thanks to this site i understand the RPM sensor could be the issue, so I pulled the sensor and this is what i found, the coil wire was hanging out and the magnet is worn as if it was rubbing against the flywheel, here's a pic, i'm thinking this may be my problem, your opinions are appreciated. IMG_0182.JPG

/ Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working #2  
I'm thinking it was either set too tight from day one or it came loose and worked it's way in. I'd say time for a new one unless you can rewrap the coil :)...........Mike

/ Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working
Yeah, it's a mess, I ordered one this morn from Circle G, $27.00, hope that does the trick, the magnet looks like it was grinding .

/ Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working #4  
It should be about 3/4 of a turn out from grinding. WIth the motor off, turn it in until it touches, then back it out 3/4 turn and tighten the locking ring. It's pretty common for these to fail, but it's an easy fix.

Thanks for that info quicksand, It'll be nice to have my tach working .

It should be about 3/4 of a turn out from grinding. WIth the motor off, turn it in until it touches, then back it out 3/4 turn and tighten the locking ring. It's pretty common for these to fail, but it's an easy fix.

Quicksand, I received the new sensor, the wire colors are green and brown, I need to splice my old connector to the new wire which are yellow and white, does it matter which color connects ?

/ Farmpro 2420 Tachometer not working #7  
I'm not positive but I don't think it matters. My understanding is the sensor is a tiny alternator, the steel teeth of the flywheel moving through the magnetic coil of the pickup generate a small AC current. Polarity doesn't matter with AC.

Thanks , the parts guy at Circle G said something similar , he felt like it really didn't matter but he also added " there's only one way to find out " , lol......