Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot #1  

ozark2

Tractor
bobcat 610
International 254 with K3E Mitsubishi engine. A little history; I bought this tractor not running, sort of. It looked great and has a loader. It did start but the crankcase was overfull ?? Drained and refilled engine and took it home. Barely made it up my drive blowing smoke. I discovered the hydraulic pump seals were bad filling the engine with Hydraulic fluid. Replaced the pump, refilled crankcase and transmissions. Still smoked. Had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt. Still smoked. Pulled the head, pan, and pistons. Discovered the block had been bored 30 and the crank turned. Everything looked great. Cylinders and crank looked like new. Had the head checked and magna fluxed. No problems. Reassembled engine with original parts. It's impossible to find pistons and rings for this engine. Still Smokes. Exhaust looks like oil smoke but from where ??? It's such a simple engine. I'm out of ideas. I think I'm going to just run and hope the neighbors don't call the fire department.

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot #2  
When you had the pistons out, did you check the oil rings to make sure the little wrinkled tensioners are butted end to end and not overlapped? I saw on a auto show on tv, a car was burning all kinds of oil and that was the problem. That's the only thing I can think of. Good luck with it.

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot
When you had the pistons out, did you check the oil rings to make sure the little wrinkled tensioners are butted end to end and not overlapped? I saw on a auto show on tv, a car was burning all kinds of oil and that was the problem. That's the only thing I can think of. Good luck with it.

I didn't think to check them. To late now. If I had known how hard it was to get parts I would not have bought. Oh well buy plenty of oil.

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot #4  
Is the muffler full of oil? If so, it will smoke for hours.

Is the muffler full of oil? If so, it will smoke for hours.

Interesting. It did blow a bunch of oil out the exhaust when the crankcase was overfull. Probably no way to clean it out except to just run it. I'll try it tomorrow and post if it works. Thanks

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot #6  
You can try burning the oil out of the muffler with a propane torch. I've done that on two stroke motorcycle exhaust pipes. It makes tons of the nastiest smoke imagineable so do it on a windy day.

Set the muffler at an angle so the exit is a good bit higher than the entrance and run the torch inside the entrance to get the fire lit. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

/ Inrnation 254 smokes - a lot #7  
Check with NCW Tractor Parts, LLC I would be shocked if they couldnt get any engine part you need. I would also price check Case Parts | Buy Online & Save ( they list oversize piston/rings on their website). As far as the smoking, there are only so many reasons it smokes, you seem to have covered all the bases that I would have but review the following and see if anything could have been missed. I am curious how much run time you have on the engine since having everything checked out ( could be residual oil still burning)

Basically there are 3 types of smoke emitted from a diesel engine: black, blue and white.

Black smoke:

Black smoke is the most common emitted from diesel engines and indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel. Black smoke causes can vary widely and include ..
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Dirty or worn fuel injectors
· Over fuelling
· Faulty turbocharger, or turbo lag
· Faulty or dirty exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system
· Incorrect valve clearance
· Incorrect fuel to air ratio
· Dirty or restricted air cleaner systems
· Over loading the engine
· Poor fuel quality
· Cool operating temperatures
· High altitude operation
· Excessive carbon build-up in combustion and exhaust spaces

Black smoke can occur across the entire operating range, but is usually worst under full power, or during the lag before the turbocharger boosts air supply to match the fuel usage such as in the early stages of acceleration and during gear changes. Moderate turbo lag smoke is acceptable; otherwise black smoke should be hardly visible in a correctly running engine.

Blue smoke:

Blue smoke is caused by engine lubricating oil burning. The oil can enter the combustion chamber from several sources including:

· Worn valve guides, or seals
· Cylinder &/or piston ring wear
· Cylinder glaze
· Piston ring sticking
· Incorrect grade of oil .. too thin and getting past rings, or valves guides
· Fuel dilution of the oil, making it too thin.

Blue smoke is often evident at cold start, which can reflect reduced oil control due to carbon fouling deposits around the piston rings and/or cylinder glaze. Blue smoke should not be evident at any stage.
An engine may burn oil without the evidence of blue smoke, because good compression burns oil quite cleanly, however, it is not acceptable for any new engine, or engine in good internal condition to burn large amounts of lubricating oil.

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.

Check with NCW Tractor Parts, LLC I would be shocked if they couldnt get any engine part you need. I would also price check Case Parts | Buy Online & Save ( they list oversize piston/rings on their website). As far as the smoking, there are only so many reasons it smokes, you seem to have covered all the bases that I would have but review the following and see if anything could have been missed. I am curious how much run time you have on the engine since having everything checked out ( could be residual oil still burning)

Basically there are 3 types of smoke emitted from a diesel engine: black, blue and white.

Black smoke:

Black smoke is the most common emitted from diesel engines and indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel. Black smoke causes can vary widely and include ..
キ Incorrect fuel injection timing
キ Dirty or worn fuel injectors
キ Over fuelling
キ Faulty turbocharger, or turbo lag
キ Faulty or dirty exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system
キ Incorrect valve clearance
キ Incorrect fuel to air ratio
キ Dirty or restricted air cleaner systems
キ Over loading the engine
キ Poor fuel quality
キ Cool operating temperatures
キ High altitude operation
キ Excessive carbon build-up in combustion and exhaust spaces

Black smoke can occur across the entire operating range, but is usually worst under full power, or during the lag before the turbocharger boosts air supply to match the fuel usage such as in the early stages of acceleration and during gear changes. Moderate turbo lag smoke is acceptable; otherwise black smoke should be hardly visible in a correctly running engine.

Blue smoke:

Blue smoke is caused by engine lubricating oil burning. The oil can enter the combustion chamber from several sources including:

キ Worn valve guides, or seals
キ Cylinder &/or piston ring wear
キ Cylinder glaze
キ Piston ring sticking
キ Incorrect grade of oil .. too thin and getting past rings, or valves guides
キ Fuel dilution of the oil, making it too thin.

Blue smoke is often evident at cold start, which can reflect reduced oil control due to carbon fouling deposits around the piston rings and/or cylinder glaze. Blue smoke should not be evident at any stage.
An engine may burn oil without the evidence of blue smoke, because good compression burns oil quite cleanly, however, it is not acceptable for any new engine, or engine in good internal condition to burn large amounts of lubricating oil.

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
キ Incorrect fuel injection timing
キ Defective fuel injectors
キ Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.
Thanks everyone for all of the input. Looks like it was as simple as oil in the muffler. Man am I embarrassed. I've be messing with engines for 50 years and this is a new one on me. I had decided to just use it as is. I ran it a couple of hours and the smoke has stopped except for a little puff of black when I gun it , witch I understand is normal for a diesel. Thanks again.