Post hole digger jury rigging

/ Post hole digger jury rigging #1  

budepps3760

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
I bought a used post hole digger and the old man got over on me. What can I say, I am a softie.

A weld was broken because he used a grade 8 bolt instead ofa shear pin and so I ground it off and welded that. Gear box was empty and so filled that. One of the shields around the gear box is missing so I will need to buy 1 for that. However I am stumped pertaining to the 6 spline tractor yoke.

20170917_104811.jpg20170917_105011.jpg

As you can see I inserted 3 shear pins to show you how the holes do not line up. The holes are also are not threaded . My question is how is this splined yoke kept attached to the PTO? I guess I could buy a quick disconnect tractor yoke from tractor supply or similar place but I would prefer not to sink another $70 into this implement if it's not necessary. Surely the previous owner was able to make this setup work somehow.

When I would lift the post hole digger up to its greatest height the PTO shaft would come off the PTO every time.

/ Post hole digger jury rigging #2  
On your PTO collar there are parts missing. It's the type with 3 balls inside a collar that stays protruded and fits the slot on your tractor PTO shaft. Sliding the collar in or out releases the balls so you can slide it onto the PTO shaft.

Using any bolt for the shear bolt has become a pretty common practice over the years (Not a good idea) especially with post hole diggers.

My neighbor has one simular to yours and he slide the PTO onto the tractor then drilled a hole matching the hole that is in some tractor PTO shafts then pinned it on, that'll keep it on while digging. If your tractor has the hole in the PTO shaft you might try that. Word of advise the hole you'll need to drill won't quite line up with the holes that are used for the 3 balls, the thru hole you'll be drilling will be about 3/4" back from the others as the hole in the PTO don't line up with the indented slots

Last edited:
   / Post hole digger jury rigging #4  
   / Post hole digger jury rigging
Broke down and bought a quick detach yoke from tractor supply to change out. Did not want to extend the PTO shaft by adding to it

/ Post hole digger jury rigging #6  
That would be the correct way to fix it. Seeing videos of digging with a post hole digger in rock free, clay free ground looks easy and fun but reality will set in with your first 1 or 2 holes if your ground is anything like mine. I still use mine some and it sure beats manual post hole diggers but I grip and groan and say its the last time I'm hooking it up every time. :laughing:

/ Post hole digger jury rigging #7  
That would be the correct way to fix it. Seeing videos of digging with a post hole digger in rock free, clay free ground looks easy and fun but reality will set in with your first 1 or 2 holes if your ground is anything like mine. I still use mine some and it sure beats manual post hole diggers but I grip and groan and say its the last time I'm hooking it up every time. :laughing:
Our post holer has a hook on the back (for use as a boom pole). We place a landscape timber across the hook and have two people push down with all their weight on both ends to drive the auger into hard ground.